PDA

View Full Version : 50 cal sabot 30 cal bullet?

Ryansoleary
01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
What do you guys think of a longer 300 grain 30 caliber bullet in a 50 cal sabbot. The idea being better be

joelansing
02-03-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm happy with Powerbelts. 50 cal bullet with no sabot = big hole in deer. I guess if you were shooting 200-300 yards a sabot and a longer barrel might make sense. I've never shot a sabot out of my modern pistols or rifles. I'm not sure how a smaller hole in a deer would help me when using black powder since I hunt at short range.
- Joe

wadevb1
02-03-2012, 07:30 PM
What do you guys think of a longer 300 grain 30 caliber bullet in a 50 cal sabbot. The idea being better be

Is there such a sabot made?

I checked MMP and their smallest diameter projectile sabot for the fifty starts at .429.

.30 cal bullets are in line with .36 caliber bores.

joelansing
02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Could you put a 44/45 cal sabot inside the 50 cal sabot? :)
- Joe

wadevb1
02-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Could you put a 44/45 cal sabot inside the 50 cal sabot? :)
- Joe

That is a thought. I do believe the people involved in smokeless inlines have experimented with double sabot loads with success.

But I thought of another problem with the OP question.

Who makes a 300 grain .30 bullet?

tondar
02-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Precision Rifle sells a "duplex sabot" to shoot a .357 projectile. The big problem with doing this is that your muzzleloader was not designed for a projectile with these dimensions. Your twist rate is probably around 1:28" which is fine for .45 cal projectiles. .300 to .357 (depending on length) require a tighter twist rate. Bottomline your accuracy will suffer

joelansing
02-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Do any of you old people remember the day of the Remington Accelerator? It was a 22 in a 30.06 Sabot. It was very cool. It was also dumb. It cost so much, and didn't kill anything any deader than a plain 30.06 bullet. OMG, they still make them http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220009/remington-express-ammunition-30-06-springfield-accelerator-55-grain-pointed-soft-point-box-of-20

Just use a 50 cal bullet in a 50 cal. Makes sense to me.
- Joe

topflitecop21
02-04-2012, 05:31 AM
I'm happy with Powerbelts. 50 cal bullet with no sabot = big hole in deer.

+1. Power belts are sweet. The farthest I've had a deer run is about 20 yards after the shot through my TC Omega.

Quack Addict
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
The dimensions of a .308" x 300gr bullet are going to be ungodly. Just a quick calculation but you're looking at a round nose bullet that is almost 1.75" long (pointed or boat tail would be longer). Take a gander at a 223 Remington case, that's ~1.75" long. Then you could/would run into some issues with the bearing surface of the sabot against the bore of the rifle, difficulty loading subsequent shots in a fouled bore, etc. On top of that you have to consider getting the axis of a long bullet like that perfectly aligned with the center of the bore to have a chance at it stabilizing. 1-28" twist rate of a stock barrel probably isn't right for a .30 cal bullet, not enough meat far enough out to properly stabilize spinning that slow. I'm sure it could be done but one of the main reasons ML's work as well as they do is because they drill a big hole. With the velocities a ML works at, you can't depend on a small caliber projectile to reliably expand.
Sorry, you asked. :hick:

+1. Power belts are sweet.

-1. There's plenty of testimonials out there that beg to differ.

wadevb1
02-13-2012, 08:51 PM
-1. There's plenty of testimonials out there that beg to differ.

Make that -2

Groo
02-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I shot a hanging dear in the head to empty my muzzle loader. I expected the deer's head to explode when I shot it with the .50 295gr power-belt at close range with 100gr behind it. It didn't even exit!
Then there is the fact that there are visible casting flaws under the plating on at least one of the bullets. That is not anywhere close to acceptable for chunks of lead that cost more than $1 a piece!
:facepalm:
I am thinking I'll try some 45 cal sabot for next year.

jason meekhof
03-03-2012, 07:27 PM
The fact of the matter is you simply don't need a bullet that heavy on deer. And someone already makes a 30 Cal Sabot for a 50 Cal muzzleloader
Precision muzzleloadings duplex dead center

I would post the URL but this is my first post

I have shot the precision dead centerc just not the duplex and they were awfully impressive. They also have done massive amounts of ballistics testing.

westcliffe01
03-03-2012, 07:55 PM
I shot 2 deer this past season with my TC Omega and the same 245gr hollow point powerbelts. The first was a (fast) walking doe which I didn't do any lead on and it struck her directly under the spine middle of the right rump. This was at 130 yards and I was using 120gr of Blackhorn 209. She didn't make it 10 feet before falling down and bled out internally. The bullet passed through the right thigh and came to rest under the skin on the left thigh. The guy I donated the meat to said he had never seen a bullet like that and it looked like it was 3/4" in diameter. So I had to show him what an unfired bullet looked like.

The other was a classic double lung shot and I don't believe that I even hit a rib either side. With just a bit of skin, 1/2" of flesh and the lungs, she ran over 200 yards before expiring. It would have been easier to track except for the fact that from the moment of being shot she was out of sight and the ground was covered with sheep tracks. When I dressed out the hide, the wound channel was 2" in diameter (the extent of the lesions under the skin). So this was not anything like being hit with a 223 bullet. But until the brain becomes starved of oxygen, they can just keep on going since they do not know that they are not immortal...

So I will not blame the performance on the bullet but the bullet placement instead. I find it hard to imagine that the outcome would have been substantially different if I had used a 308 or 300WM with the same bullet placement.

Since I changed to blackhorn 209 and went lighter (people initially recommended 350gr bullets ???) to the 245's my shooting with the Omega became non painful and predictable and I could take shots out to 130 yards with confidence. For the next season I will get to shoot out to longer ranges and be more familiar with the ballistics. This last season was my first with a front loader...

Ryansoleary
03-04-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm definable getting sOme of those duplexes

Thanx