PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 - My Pros/Cons

zbock
01-23-2010, 10:19 PM
I recently bought a glock 19. Here is my own personal pro/con analysis. I've owned the following guns, all of which were sold and now the newly acquired glock 19 is my only pistol.

Stoeger Cougar
Sw99c
Walther PPS

Pros

1.) Weight - I carried my cougar mostly, and the glock's weight is heaven in comparison. Loaded it weighs a few less than the cougar unloaded.

2.) Size - The grip length is a half inch shorter which helps with concealing tremendously.

3.) Capacity - Same capacity as my cougar, yet a half inch shorter in the grip.

4.) Consistent trigger - this is subjective but I like the consistency of the same trigger pull every time.

5.) Price - Relatively inexpensive compared to other guns. Also mags are $23/ea shipped online through CDNN. Mags are big one for me as I think it's ridiculous to spend hundreds of dollars on a gun and then have to cough up $40+ per mag on top of it.

6.) Reliable - Haven't had any fte/ftf, just seems to work. Didn't have any issues with the PPS or sw99c, but the cougar wouldn't run well without a good lube job.

Cons

1.) Feel - To be honest all the other guns listed above have felt better in the hand, the sw and cougar felt better to shoot as well. Went shooting with bros today, one has a PX4 storm, the other has a P2000. Both felt better in the hand, both felt a little nicer to shoot. Don't really care for how my hand feels with the Glock after shooting a few hundred rounds (and this is with a hogue grip)

2.) Sights - I'm not a fan of the standard sights. I'm getting used to them but I prefer 3 dots. I'll most likely buy some night sights in a few months.

Conclusion:

I feel like the glock is the ideal gun for me to carry due to its size, weight, capacity, price, and reliability. It's not the gun that feels the best to me, however I'm willing to sacrifice that in order for the big picture of what the gun has to offer.

hopeitsfast
01-23-2010, 10:29 PM
That's what people need to understand, the Glock is ugly, the grip isn't the best, but it's accurate for the size, reliable as anything anywhere, has the best capacity for it's size and it just plain works.

RS2
01-23-2010, 10:40 PM
... just seems to work.

Yep.

willowofwisp
01-23-2010, 10:44 PM
I love my g19 rtf2, i haven't carried it yet though, waiting for my mtac shell, should be here tuesday.

the gun is awesome though and fun to shoot.

Will-IB-Ready
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I would say you get the idea.

donald150
01-23-2010, 10:56 PM
you will fix 50% of your complaints when you get new sights

JDG
01-23-2010, 11:43 PM
No complaints with my G19, exept the accuracy. I shot my G23 much better. But to be fair, this was shooting reloads, and maybe my 40S&W load, was just better. Can't go wrong with a G19!

The_Dude_Abides
01-24-2010, 09:01 AM
I love my glocks. I went for the 23 over the 19 just because i like the .40 S&W better.

I have a G21 too and it makes my G23 look and feel like a baby.

gumfighter
01-28-2010, 01:35 PM
I have been carrying firearms off duty and on-duty for over 40 years. Started out with revolvers in DPD, including 38, 357, 41 mags and 44 mags. I carried a 38 Colt detective special and S&W model 60 over those years for off-duty. I also carried S&W 9mm and 45 acp as well as a DPD issued Glock 22 model before I retired. I am a PO for another dept and now I am issued a Sig 226 in 40 S&W for on-duty. After shooting perhaps hundreds of thousands of rounds through many different guns and calibers, I feel the Glock is the best weapon platform for PO's. With the current hi-performance ammo, a 9mm is very effective I personally now carry a Glock 19 in a IWB holster for off-duty with Ranger 147 gr and sometimes my Para CCO compact light double action 45 with 230 gr Ranger. I have put thousands of rounds through my Glock 19 and Glock 22 and other than changing the sights, I have not had any problems. Other officers in my Dept as well perfer to carry Glocks off duty instead of our more expensive issued Sigs. We had many problems with our Sigs in 40 cal. Glock 19 is one dependable weapon system and I even made my sons buy them.

The Gunslinger
01-28-2010, 09:26 PM
well i had stovepipe and shells hitting me in the face issues just start after 1,000 rounds.

called glock and they sent me a new ejector (not the whole housing-just the ejector itself, yes it comes out) & and extractor.

the stove pipe probs and shells in the face issues are gone, but i had a few FTRB issues. the new ejector they sent me isn't flush with the top of the housing and i think it's rubbing the slide. that's the only thing i can think of. 3 glock armorers verified that i installed everything correctly.

hmmmm

MICPL
01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
That's what people need to understand, the Glock is ugly

Except for the 17L, man call me crazy but the 17L is sexy!

hopeitsfast
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Except for the 17L, man call me crazy but the 17L is sexy!
Yep your crazy. Those long slides are the ugliest ones.Gross..lol

CyborgWarrior
01-28-2010, 11:28 PM
con: not in 45 ACP

brylow
01-28-2010, 11:52 PM
I think a G 34 or 35 in the new interchangeable back strap would be just the ticket. Or at least offer it in the SF option. Than pop on the Laser Lite rear sight. Than I just might have to buy another GL. Like I need another.

TFin04
01-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Feel has absolutely nothing to do with using a gun effectively.

.44Smith&Wesson
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Feel has absolutely nothing to do with using a gun effectively.

:doh:

Danco411
01-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Let me get this right...you would rather carry that phat biotch Glock than the uber svelte PPS? Don't get me wrong I love my Glock 19. If had to walk through Detroit or Downtown Saginaw the Glock would be on my belt. But it would be outside the waistband in a kydex holster. I just can't carry that fat gun inside my belt when the PPS is sooo slim and sooo comfy. Sure it's 7 rounds less but for everyday carry the PPS is the Christina Aquilar of guns! :rotate:

hopeitsfast
01-29-2010, 04:08 PM
the PPS is the Christina Aquilar of guns! :rotate:Yep, high maintenance, overpriced, and annoying as hell..:-D :-D

Danco411
01-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Yep, high maintenance, overpriced, and annoying as hell..

My wife is like that so I'm used to it! ;-)

hopeitsfast
01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
My wife is like that so I'm used to it! ;-)
:D

fraglord
01-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I carry a Glock 19 as well. Definitely change the stock sights for some 3-dot night sights, they work much better. Also, have you noticed the compact glocks have that stupid serrated "target" trigger? Pick up a full size Glock and feel how much better the smooth trigger feels. I change out the triggers in all my compact Glocks to the smooth triggers from the full size models. This greatly enhances the feel and makes the gun more accurate and pleasant to shoot(for me anyway). Been carrying my G19 for 8 years and have about 4000 rounds thru it without any problems.

edge
01-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Yep, high maintenance, overpriced, and annoying as hell..:-D :-D
haha, that was funny

TFin04
01-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Let me get this right...you would rather carry that phat biotch Glock than the uber svelte PPS?
Yep. I like my guns to work. Maybe I'm crazy.

DLL9MM
01-29-2010, 08:37 PM
:wow:

ghostrider
01-30-2010, 01:18 AM
I don't know how well the PPS works since I'd never have one (I suppose if someone gave it to me I'd take it, then sell it to fund something else). I just don't like the two handed magazine release. Much as I tried, I couldn't figure out how to release the mag without taking my hand off the grip. Strangely enough, when I tried the H&K's I didn't seem to experience the same problem. I was even in a store when someone asked me what I thought of the PPS and why I preferred other guns over it. When I told him to hold the gun like he would in competition, and drop the mag like he would in competition, he discovered he had the same problem that I did.

Then, of all those who love the PPS, I've never heard mention of this. Glad they like them and have no problems with the release (or the gun for that matter). Personally, I don't have a problem carrying a Glock IWB, but then I have the advantage of being able to dress around the gun, and mostly carry OWB. I suppose if I had a more limited choice of wardrobe, it might change, but I doubt it. I'd probably just find a better trap for that particular mouse.

The Gunslinger
01-30-2010, 01:31 AM
i figured out why my g19 started having FTRb probs after i put in the ejector and extractor glock sent me.

they sent me the 40cal extractor by mistake.

so i'm back loving my g19 lol

pkuptruck
01-30-2010, 06:03 AM
not knockling the glock....but as an unabashed 1911 shooter... I recently tried on both a glock19 and a MP9... The glock "felt" better to hold... but aiming was a little ..."off" to a slabside gezzer like me... The MP felt a little akward, but pointed ok....

Rented both, and put a box downrange....

And for me? the MP shot better, held better.... Thats just me.. No need to tell me how nice the glock is... I understand....:naughty:

Just saying the MP9 did the job better with my crappy 1911 style...:doh:

Then I added a doug mod.. and it is way better now...

Still have the 1911 "go to" , but have a wimpy 9mm for backup....8)

ghostrider
01-30-2010, 08:32 AM
not knockling the glock....but as an unabashed 1911 shooter... I recently tried on both a glock19 and a MP9... The glock "felt" better to hold... but aiming was a little ..."off" to a slabside gezzer like me... The MP felt a little akward, but pointed ok....

Rented both, and put a box downrange....

And for me? the MP shot better, held better.... Thats just me.. No need to tell me how nice the glock is... I understand....:naughty:

Just saying the MP9 did the job better with my crappy 1911 style...:doh:

Then I added a doug mod.. and it is way better now...

Still have the 1911 "go to" , but have a wimpy 9mm for backup....8)Low left?

And what is the "doug mod". I remember seeing him mention something, but forgot.

MICPL
01-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Yep your crazy. Those long slides are the ugliest ones.Gross..lol

LOL! no way the "L" is super sexy!

Danco411
01-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Huh. My PPS has been flawless. Maybe your doing something wrong? :D

You have to admit the PPS is a very comfortable, concealable weapon.

pkuptruck
01-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Low left?

And what is the "doug mod". I remember seeing him mention something, but forgot.

No not low lwft... more like "shotgun"... LOL..
the mp just shot better to me...

zbock
01-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Although the PPS was very easy to carry, I wasn't pleased with the idea of only having 9 rounds at my disposal, the price of spare mags is pretty ridiculous as well. I don't have hundreds of dollars laying around to spend on stuff, so price is definitely a consideration.

Overall taken into the entire package, as stated in my original post, I believe the glock to be the best option for carry for me.

Glock19Romeo
02-13-2021, 02:21 PM
Where do you order the night sights?
I carry a Glock 19 as well. Definitely change the stock sights for some 3-dot night sights, they work much better. Also, have you noticed the compact glocks have that stupid serrated "target" trigger? Pick up a full size Glock and feel how much better the smooth trigger feels. I change out the triggers in all my compact Glocks to the smooth triggers from the full size models. This greatly enhances the feel and makes the gun more accurate and pleasant to shoot(for me anyway). Been carrying my G19 for 8 years and have about 4000 rounds thru it without any problems.

pscipio03
02-13-2021, 02:46 PM
Just saw how much of a necro post this is.
I'm out.

Scoop
02-13-2021, 04:20 PM
Where do you order the night sights?You dug up an 11 year old thread. Maybe try to find some that are a little more recent? :D