Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The VT massacre is not the worst school massacre in US History

Bath School Massacre of 1927
    April 19, 2007
    L. Ward
    Michigan Gun Owners

Despite widespread reporting in the mainstream media that either state or imply that the Virginia Tech Massacre is the worst in US history, I believe a school in Michigan still holds that distinction.... The perpetrator of the Bath School Massacre didn't use a gun. Perhaps that's why this story escapes mainstream reporting.

It was 1927 in Bath, Michigan. School Board Treasurer Andrew Kehoe became upset by a property tax that had been levied to fund the construction of the school building. He apparently blamed the tax for financial hardships which led to the foreclosure on his farm. Over the course of several months, Kehoe secretly planted hundreds of pounds of dynamite and pyrotol in the Bath Consolidated School basement.

In the early morning hours of May 18, Kehoe killed his wife and then set his farm buildings on fire. As fire fighters arrived at the farm, Kehoe detonated the explosives planted in the Bath Consolidated School building, devastating its north wing and killing many of the people inside. After rescuers started gathering at the school, Kehoe drove up to the rescuers and detonated another bomb inside his car, killing himself, the school superintendent, and killing and injuring several others. During rescue efforts, an additional 500 pounds of unexploded dynamite and pyrotol were found planted throughout the basement of the school's south wing.

According to reports, there were 46 dead: 38 children, seven adults, and Kehoe himself. At least 50 others were injured. Most of dead and injured were children in the second through sixth grade.

Though the Bath Consolidated School has long since been torn down, a small park where the original school once stood, was constructed. Inside the park, a bronze memorial plaque contains the names of all the children killed on that day.

School Explosion Aftermath

Last edited by Knimrod; 04-21-2007 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Corrected the date of incident

In Memoriam
    Way to go Lance...I forgot about that one. I think this has to go to CNN, FOX, NBC and all the rest. Just shows how prejudiced they are against guns/gun owners. I'm going to start spreadng that around.
    Gary D.
    ZIPGRAVER
    FOUNDING MEMBER MICHIGAN GUN OWNERS
    M2A, STILLWATER FIREARMS ASSOC., FALLON TRAP CLUB, HIGH PLAINS DRIFTERS, GRAMPA, NEVADAMAN
    GLOCK ENGRAVER EXTRAORDINARY
    www.zipgraver.com

Closed Account Forum User
    My great-grandfather (who I'm lucky enough to still have around) was a student there when that happened.

It was a day of finals testing. He had already taken his tests the day before and was home working on the dairy farm (the same farm he still owns and runs, at 93 years old. Lived there since he was 6). He was out working in the field and could hear/feel the blast from miles away.

He ended up driving his fathers car into town and helped take the wounded to the local hospital. Said they never were able to clean the car up after that.

Great man, really. Thanks for reminding me, I haven't talked to him in quite some time. I think I will call him tomorrow.

That bell tower in the picture is still at a little park in "downtown" Bath with a memorial board speaking of the incident.

I am a Forum User

Bath School disaster

Here is a link to the whole story.

http://www.answers.com/topic/bath-school-disaster

Wow I never heard of that one,,, thanks for posting.

I am a Forum User
    It was the worst school shooting. I heard about the Bath thing bout 10 years ago while loking up stuff on michigan hauntings. It was one of the sites they research ghosts at. I couldny imagin being p'oed about taxes and taking it out on kids

Quote Originally Posted by fbuckner
    It was the worst school shooting. I heard about the Bath thing bout 10 years ago while loking up stuff on michigan hauntings. It was one of the sites they research ghosts at. I couldny imagin being p'oed about taxes and taking it out on kids
    He wasn't trying to take it out on the kids. He was trying to blow up the school the night before, during the school board meeting.

His rigging didn't work out and blew up the next day while school was in session. Not even half of it went off, it could have been quite a bit worse.

The guy was definitely nuts though.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks Knimrod for the history lesson I never heard of that before today.

TFin04

I'd think your Great-Grandfather's story of that day would be worthy of filming. Consider it.

James

Quote Originally Posted by jr-vass
    TFin04

I'd think your Great-Grandfather's story of that day would be worthy of filming. Consider it.

James
    I do too. Trouble is, he doesn't talk about it. He has never actually spoken directly to me about it, all info I have came from the rest of the family (his three sons (one being my grandfather) mostly).

He is now a 93 year old man who recently lost his wife of 70 some-odd years and moved from his farm to a retirement center. He seems to be fairly happy considering what he has gone through, so we just try to keep it that way.

Thanks for the kind words, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast