Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Question CPL questions (expiration, renewal, additional training)

I am considering purchasing a handgun soon and have been reading the forums and google searching for a lot of info but had a few CPL questions I was hoping to get more info on.

First off a CPL class gets you a certificate to present to the police department with submission of CPL licence, so the costs would be the class itself, then the filing for permit with police dept, (approx $150ish give or take depending on where you go for classes and another $105 to file for the license) then are their follow up CPL classes you need to do and how long is that CPL license itself good for?

The CPL license renewal is the same cost correct ($105 from what i saw on google) just wasn't sure how long a CPL license is valid or if additional training is required after a certain time to retain the CPL.

Many other questions but I will keep reading searching and will only post the stuff I can't find the answers to...

I am not even sure if I am going to do the full CPL thing, would it be crazy to just do the class for the educational value but not apply for the CPL license? How long after taking the CPL class do you have to file for the CPL license?

Guess I am just not sure how often I would even carry, so trying to figure out all the ins and outs of costs / renewals etc.

Bill

Account Closed Forum User
    The class certificate does not expire.

After you receive your license it is valid for 4 years and up to your birthday of that year. After that it needs to be renewed every 5 years on your birthday.

There is no further educational requirements to renew your permit. Refresher courses are offered but not required by law.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks on that, also if i did take the CPL class and got the certificate for it, is there a time frame I need to actually apply for the CPL within?

When I asked that same question, I was told "Until they change the law".

No time limit, if you have the certificate, you can wait as long as you feel appropriate, until they change the law to make the certificate expire.

And, on that, your guess is as good as mine.
    "As to the abuses I meet with, I number them among my honors. One cannot behave so as to obtain the esteem of the wise and the good without drawing on oneself at the same time the envy and malice of the foolish and wicked, and the latter is testimony of the former. Benjamin Franklin, 1767

MGO Board of Directors

One point of clarification...

CPL's are valid for 4-5 years (not less than 4, not more than 5). In a normal renewal cycle, it will be closer to 4 years.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by FTLOSM
    I am considering purchasing a handgun soon and have been reading the forums and google searching for a lot of info but had a few CPL questions I was hoping to get more info on

First off a CPL class gets you a certificate to present to the police department with submission of CPL licence, so the costs would be the class itself, then the filing for permit with police dept, (approx $150ish give or take depending on where you go for classes and another $105 to file for the license) then are their follow up CPL classes you need to do and how long is that CPL license itself good for?

No follow up classes. The license is good untill your 4th birthday after issue. If your BD is 6/1 and CPL is issued 6/2/11 it will expire 6/1/16. If it is issued 5/29/11, it will expire 6/1/15

The CPL license renewal is the same cost correct ($105 from what i saw on google) just wasn't sure how long a CPL license is valid or if additional training is required after a certain time to retain the CPL.

Yes, renewal is the same price. Figuring out how long a CPL is good for still confuses many people. *Some counties have in the past tried to make people retake the class if older then 6 mo or for renewal but I think we have got that taken care of now.

Many other questions but I will keep reading searching and will only post the stuff I can't find the answers to...

I am not even sure if I am going to do the full CPL thing, would it be crazy to just do the class for the educational value but not apply for the CPL license? How long after taking the CPL class do you have to file for the CPL license?

That is exactally what my wife & I did. We took the class just for the educational value. I did go on to get my CPL, 4 years later using the same certificate and my wife still hasn't gotten hers. Her 2001 cert is still good, we could apply next week if she decided she wanted to.

Guess I am just not sure how often I would even carry, so trying to figure out all the ins and outs of costs / renewals etc.

Bill
    I never expected to carry, then I got my CPL just to make transporting my pistol for hunting easier. Now I carry almost whenever & wherever it's legal.
    I was looking for safety and markmanship training when I took the class and was disappointed. Found out that my Dad had already taught me VERY WELL. I did learn a few finer points of the LAW which was good. I have since learned MUCH more about the law right here in these forums.

Oh... BTW, the down side to having a CPL is you can just buy ANY gun you see for sale anytime you find it here in MI. I seem to have aquired several new guns since I got mine.

I am a Forum User
    I have a question that is related to the topic...

My Daughter is turning 20 in March.
    Can I set her up for a CCW class before she is 21 and that certificate is still valid?
    I guess what I am really asking is can someone under 21 take the class and if so the certificate would be valid when she turns 21?

I was thinking about getting her a CCW class for her birthday...
    That way she will have a year with incentive to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE some more.

I am a Forum User
    Yes, she can take it at any age & it is valid for life.

I am a Forum User
    I have a question that is related to the topic...

My Daughter is turning 20 in March.
    Can I set her up for a CCW class before she is 21 and that certificate is still valid?
    I guess what I am really asking is can someone under 21 take the class and if so the certificate would be valid when she turns 21?

I was thinking about getting her a CCW class for her birthday...
    That way she will have a year with incentive to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Yes, she can take it at any age & it is valid for life.
    Almost correct. The NRA course Personal Protection in the Home is the most often taught course to qualify for a CPL in MI.

NRA has an age restriction on taking the class. Students must be legally eligible to own a handgun per state/federal law in the jurisdiction where they live and take the class. For most states this is 21 years old per federal law to own a handgun. In Michigan an 18 year old can legally own a handgun per state statute and therefore the minimum age to be able to take the Personal Protection in the Home Class in Michigan is 18 years old. This does not preclude someone younger from sitting in the back of a class to absorb the information presented without actually taking/participating in the class. Due to the nature of the material being discussed maturity level of young observers should be carefully evaluated. a casual observer to the class will not participate and will not receive a certificate or course materials.

When taught correctly in accordance with NRA guidelines the information in the course is invaluable as related to the ramifications of the use of deadly force. Unfortunately a very high percentage of certified instructors in MI are not complying with NRA requirements when teaching this class. Shop carefully and ask lots of questions before signing up for a class.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by FTLOSM

I am not even sure if I am going to do the full CPL thing, would it be crazy to just do the class for the educational value but not apply for the CPL license?

Bill
    One of the biggest disservices to gun owners has been labeling these classes CPL classes. It has created a mindset that the only purpose they serve is to obtain a CPL and that is the furthest thing from the truth.

NRA's Personal Protection in the Home (PPIH) is PRIMARILY about the ramifications of the use of deadly force when incorporating a firearm into your toolkit for dealing with violent attackers. ANYONE who has a gun for self-defense is the designated audience for this class.

PPIH existed as training for this purpose long before the state of MI required training for a CPL. MI saw this pre-existing course as a valuable education tool and used this very course as the template to establish the education criteria you must complete to apply for a CPL.

Most of the population of this country know nothing about the use of deadly force and the ramifications of its use except for what they learn watching TV shows and movies and all of that information is wrong and useless.

Your life will change in an instant the moment you use deadly force to protect yourself or another. The information presented in the properly taught NRA personal Protection in the Home course can make the difference between not just surviving the encounter, but in surviving the aftermath and beyond and even more importantly in having tools and skills to avoid and prevent the whole mess in the first place.

ANYONE legally eligible to own and use firearms and who has a firearm in their home or business for protection should take this course.

Please shop carefully and ask questions. There are many shyster instructors in this only for a buck who currently hold NRA credentials but do not honor the NRA requirements, instead offering watered down or flat out bogus training. If you run into anyone like this please report them to the NRA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast