Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wishn-i-was-fishn
    Almost correct. The NRA course Personal Protection in the Home is the most often taught course to qualify for a CPL in MI.

NRA has an age restriction on taking the class. Students must be legally eligible to own a handgun per state/federal law in the jurisdiction where they live and take the class. For most states this is 21 years old per federal law to own a handgun. In Michigan an 18 year old can legally own a handgun per state statute and therefore the minimum age to be able to take the Personal Protection in the Home Class in Michigan is 18 years old. This does not preclude someone younger from sitting in the back of a class to absorb the information presented without actually taking/participating in the class. Due to the nature of the material being discussed maturity level of young observers should be carefully evaluated. a casual observer to the class will not participate and will not receive a certificate or course materials.

When taught correctly in accordance with NRA guidelines the information in the course is invaluable as related to the ramifications of the use of deadly force. Unfortunately a very high percentage of certified instructors in MI are not complying with NRA requirements when teaching this class. Shop carefully and ask lots of questions before signing up for a class.
    As you say, "MOST" of the classes taught are NRA PPIH. However, that is not the only class authorized by the state and the state doesn't have an age requirement that I know of.
    Last edited by Leader; 01-16-2011 at 12:45 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    As you say, "MOST" of the classes taught are NRA PPIH. However, that is not the only class authorized by the state and the state doesn't have an age requirement that I know of.
    Correct. The age requirement would apply to the NRA PPIH course. I cannot speak to the others.

I am a Forum User
    Is that for everywhere? Or just in MI?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIOUS99
    Is that for everywhere? Or just in MI?
    Not 100% sure what you mean by your question.

If you are asking about NRA's age restriction for taking the Personal Protection in the Home it is a restriction that applies where ever that course is taught in accordance with NRA requirements.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by FTLOSM

I am not even sure if I am going to do the full CPL thing, would it be crazy to just do the class for the educational value but not apply for the CPL license? How long after taking the CPL class do you have to file for the CPL license?

Bill
    I received my CPL certificate back in Feb. 2000, and didn't fulfill my CPL license until summer of 2009.

Some of the wording on the certificate had changed, but didn't seem to matter at the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12