Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Inexpensive decent assault rifles

I'm looking to get an inexpensive assault rifle. I'd love to have an AR-15, but I need to be at or under $500. Also, the price of .223 is a bit high for my taste, so I've considered other options...

What I'm looking for is this. Under $500, not going to jam regularly, and cheap to shoot.

L1A1 (If they're even under 500?) .308/7.62x51 is pretty damn cheap.
    AK-47. 7.62x39 is cheaper than dirt.
    AK-74 5.45x39 also cheap. Could potentially make this a 'Michigan Pistol' too.

Anything else that'd fit in here that I'm missing?

Anything I should flat out avoid, maybe brands, etc?

School me. Handguns and shotguns are my things, assault rifles not as much.
    Last edited by malignity; 11-12-2010 at 10:29 AM.

I am a Forum User
    What's the primary purpose of this weapon? If you are just getting it to throw lead down range, then the AK-74 would be your best bet.

I am a Forum User
    L1A1 under $500 would be a steal.... usually around 700 and up....

why not a CETME? (450 or so...)
    or an SKS?

ak-74 has been already covered... but decent weapon.

I am a Forum User
    This one is a "sporting" rifle.

I have one of these and have not a had a problem with it . Many other folks here also have one. Not a chrome lined barrel but as long as you take care of it it will be just fine. I have added a Ultimak rail and mounted an Aimpoint ML2 on it with a VCAS sling. The furniture is upgradable as well but mine is as is for now.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx

PS- Chewy (Gun Barn 2) is on file with them for the transfer.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HVYMTLMEC
    This one is a "sporting" rifle.

I have one of these and have not a had a problem with it . Many other folks here also have one. Not a chrome lined barrel but as long as you take care of it it will be just fine. I have added a Ultimak rail and mounted an Aimpoint ML2 on it with a VCAS sling. The furniture is upgradable as well but mine is as is for now.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx

PS- Chewy (Gun Barn 2) is on file with them for the transfer.
    Hmm. I'm liking that. What's the problem with not having a chrome lined barrel?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by malignity
    Hmm. I'm liking that. What's the problem with not having a chrome lined barrel?

It means you have to lube it more often or not. Buy 2 they are cheap or wear out the first barrel and get a chrome lined barrel mounted on it. I have put over 2k rounds of Russian surplus through mine and have had no problems so far. You will not be disappointed for what you will spend. Ammo is $120 for 1080 rounds and mags are $10 a piece through Aim Surplus. The mags are original plum mags just painted black and have had the circle 10 marking sanded off for import reasons.

I am a Forum User
    I'm also considering a semi-auto rifle and don't really have the funds right now for a .223/5.56 AR-15.

The 5.45X39 AK-74 looks to be an economical choice but a quick read using google talks about the bullet tumbling in flight. Was that original ammo problem and avoidable with the right ammo? What say you?

My use would be SD HD. Would I be better off to wait and buy/build an AR-15?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPintheMitten
    The 5.45X39 AK-74 looks to be an economical choice but a quick read using google talks about the bullet tumbling in flight. Was that original ammo problem and avoidable with the right ammo? What say you?
    The "tumbling" or key holing you are reading about concerns early Century Tantals that had .223 bores rather than .220 spec bores. Not a problem with the AK74s. For your stated uses, the AK74 is a good value based on weapon and ammo costs.
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GPintheMitten
    I'm also considering a semi-auto rifle and don't really have the funds right now for a .223/5.56 AR-15.

My use would be SD HD. Would I be better off to wait and buy/build an AR-15?
    IDK about the ballistics of this round. Every round that I have intended to hit the target has. I have AR rifles and I have said it before I would probably grab my AK over my AR if i had a choice. The dependability IMHO is very good. Training is a big help as well. Hopefully
    Tom Fineis will have another AK class next year or take the MDFI carbine class also.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast