Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

moving from Boston to Flint - what do we need to do?

Hey all, the girlfriend and I are moving from the Boston, MA area to Flint, MI. We've got our concealed-carry permits from Massachusetts, and a small collection of handguns, rifles, and shotguns. What do we need to do to keep ourselves on the right side of the law in terms of registering (required in MA, no idea if it's needed in MI) our guns, and applying for our concealed-carry permits? Do our MA licenses (or our NH/Maine non-resident permits) apply in MI?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to lend!

-SK

MGO Member

what do we need to do?

DON'T

just being honest
    "The life of this aina', this land, is perpetuated in righteousness for you and I, the people..."

bruddah IZ, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

I am a Forum User
    Welcome to Flint.

there is a reciprocity finder page on this site that should help you. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by FIJI
    DON'T

just being honest
    Lol, I *promise* you MI gun laws make about 10,000% more sense than Massachusetts ones. I won't elaborate in this thread, but maybe I'll start another once I'm moved and settled. I've got some stories, that's for sure

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessknight
    Hey all, the girlfriend and I are moving from the Boston, MA area to Flint, MI. We've got our concealed-carry permits from Massachusetts, and a small collection of handguns, rifles, and shotguns. What do we need to do to keep ourselves on the right side of the law in terms of registering (required in MA, no idea if it's needed in MI) our guns, and applying for our concealed-carry permits? Do our MA licenses (or our NH/Maine non-resident permits) apply in MI?
    You will need to register your handguns with your local PD after you become a resident of MI which is considered once you get a MI drivers lic. It is a simple form required for each handgun; you do not need to do anything with your rifles or shotguns.

Your carry permits are good in MI as long as they are resident permits; MI does not recognize non-resident permits from any state.

I'm not sure if your NH/Maine carry permits will be honored once you become a MI resident. I pretty sure that there is a 6 month residency period required before you can apply for a MI CPL but I've read that may be waived if you've already got a permit from another state; but you will have to take a MI CPL course so that you will be up to speed on our laws....

MGO Member
    Id honestly recommend not moving to flint, if you can choose another city. If you must, absolutely carry at all times. Flint was rated #1 highest crime percentage rate in the country. Detroit was #2. http://www.policymic.com/mobile/arti...st-cities-2012
    Last edited by dpa; 01-04-2014 at 05:24 PM.

When you get your MI CPL you won't need your other non res permits. The MI CPL is good in 40 states.

Lived in the Flint area for a couple years in the 70"s. Lived out in the Western suburbs in FLUSHING. At that time, the worst thing was the stench from the Flint river. But it was nice out there other than that.
    Try to get as far away from downtown Flint as you can & you should be ok.
    There are neighborhoods where you don't want to go. Stay way from anything North of I-69 & East of I-75
    Good luck, & welcome to Michigan.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Member

Flint - the Armpit of the Nation

If the Good Lord was going to give this country an enema....

...he'd stick it in Flint
    "The life of this aina', this land, is perpetuated in righteousness for you and I, the people..."

bruddah IZ, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessknight

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to lend!

-SK
    Welcome. You do realize what kind of town Flint is right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast