Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Moving to Michigan with a Handgun

Hello everyone,

So as a resident of Ohio, we have no registration process or purchase permits. Because of this I have a few questions for when I move north sometime in the next year.

• Is the Safety Inspec the same as the registration?
    • Where do I go to do either of these?
    • Does the firearm come with me for this inspec/registration?
    • Is there anything else you feel I should know about handgun ownership in Michigan (other than the laws pertaining to)?

Thanks for everyones time and patience with this Michigan newb!

---BigByrd47119

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BigByrd47119
    Hello everyone,

So as a resident of Ohio, we have no registration process or purchase permits. Because of this I have a few questions for when I move north sometime in the next year.

• Is the Safety Inspec the same as the registration?
      We no longer have a safety inspection, just registration.
    • Where do I go to do either of these?
      You go to your local police department. If in the country, it will probably be the county sheriff.
    • Does the firearm come with me for this inspec/registration?
      No. You no longer have to take the firearm in to register it.
    • Is there anything else you feel I should know about handgun ownership in Michigan (other than the laws pertaining to)?
      Once you get moved in, go to the local police dept. & get a purchase permit for *EACH HANDGUN* you own. Then just fill in the blanks with you as seller & buyer & mail it back to them.

Thanks for everyones time and patience with this Michigan newb!

---BigByrd47119
    Welcome to MI when you get here.

to Michigan and MGO............"GO BLUE"
    I just had to say it!!!!
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Welcome to MI when you get here.

Thanks for the help! That greatly clarifies things for me.

Is it really necessary to do the purchase permit aspect of the information you listed? I assume if it is then I would want to do the purchase permit prior to the registration, correct?

Is there anything in particular I need to bring with me when I go to register the gun. As you said, I don't have to take the actual firearm, but do I need to bring the SN# or anything else?

---BigByrd47119
    Last edited by BigByrd47119; 12-11-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb32
    to Michigan and MGO............"GO BLUE"
    I just had to say it!!!!

lol!

Let me know how thats working out for ya!

I am a Forum User

Smile welcome

welcome 2 michigan

Just hope it gets better!! I have relatives in Grove City, and My cousin graduated from Ohio State the same year I graduated from Michigan, lol
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BigByrd47119
    Thanks for the help! That greatly clarifies things for me.

Is it really necessary to do the purchase permit aspect of the information you listed? I assume if it is then I would want to do the purchase permit prior to the registration, correct?

Is there anything in particular I need to bring with me when I go to register the gun. As you said, I don't have to take the actual firearm, but do I need to bring the SN# or anything else?

---BigByrd47119
    Yes it is necessary to do the purchase permit thing. That is the registration thing....
    When you mail the copies back to the PD, that is the final step in registration. The local PD keeps one copy and forwards the other to the State Police for entry into the database.

You don't need anything except ID when you go in for the permits.
    Although the law is the same all over MI, the departments do it differently. Best case, you ask for permit, they take your info & give you the test. When you hand the test back they give you your permits.
    Worst case... You ask, they give you test, you have to come back another day to pick up permits & they try to charge you for them.
    Note.. You DO NOT have to have the permits notarized by them (which is what the charge is for), you may get it done by any notary.
    Also, no limit on how many permits you may get at one time, get enough for all your guns when you go in.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Yes it is necessary to do the purchase permit thing. That is the registration thing....
    When you mail the copies back to the PD, that is the final step in registration. The local PD keeps one copy and forwards the other to the State Police for entry into the database.

You don't need anything except ID when you go in for the permits.
    Although the law is the same all over MI, the departments do it differently. Best case, you ask for permit, they take your info & give you the test. When you hand the test back they give you your permits.
    Worst case... You ask, they give you test, you have to come back another day to pick up permits & they try to charge you for them.
    Note.. You DO NOT have to have the permits notarized by them (which is what the charge is for), you may get it done by any notary.
    Also, no limit on how many permits you may get at one time, get enough for all your guns when you go in.
    Excellent Information! That helps a bunch, it really is important (obviously) and its great to have someone who can give me straight answers.

I considered calling the local PD where I intended to move to (Taylor) but I always feel like a idiot doing so. Usually doesn't help that MOST PD's are pretty short with questions about regulations and laws.

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    +1 on the good info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast