Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Question New pistol shooter, shooting low and left. Help please.

Ok so I'm new to shooting pistols.
    But not new to shooting. I have been shooting rifles and shotguns for a long time.
    With a Rifle I'm fairly good. And Can hit the kill zone even with a rifle I have never fired before on my first try. (Given that the rife has been sighted in that is)
    Here is my target from my last range day where I shot for the fist time ever an AR15 at 25 yards with open sights, no rest and no sling, standing.

I have been to the range with my 90-Two 9mm pistol a few times now and have had a blast every time. But I am having a problem I need some help with.

I am low and just left on almost every shot.
    Here is my fist target of the day.
    7 Yards.

And here is my last for the day.
    7 Yards.

I asked the range master to help me and he watched me and said I was doing everything right. So I asked him to shoot the gun. He was all over the place. Thou he only put about 15 rounds threw it. He said he was not sure if it was me or the gun.

Any one have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Could it be the gun?
    My wife also shot it that day but was all over the place.
    My friend shot it and liked it, and was also low and left 90% of the time or better.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Badmunky; 09-09-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Fixed broken image links.

First off what range was it the range master is an idiot.

Second of all come to YSINTG put on by MDFI www.Michigantrainer.com
    Bring your wife as well

You will be shooting 100% better and learn alot more about it

issues can be fixed by those who can show you teach you and break it down for you and more Look for the reviews

Or simply meet me at my club one afternoon for some one on one time and get you headed in the right direction

I am a Forum User
    Right handed?

Most likely trigger control issues. Press straight back to the rear, keep the sights aligned throughout the press. Looks like you are flinching.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RSF
    First off what range was it the range master is an idiot.

Second of all come to YSINTG put on by MDFI www.Michigantrainer.com
    Bring your wife as well

You will be shooting 100% better and learn alot more about it

issues can be fixed by those who can show you teach you and break it down for you and more Look for the reviews

Or simply meet me at my club one afternoon for some one on one time and get you headed in the right direction
    It was at TopGun Shooting Sports. Nice range for the most part the guy I asked for help may have been the wrong guy to ask.

I'm a truck driver and can never be sure when I may be home. (Sucks big time trust me.)
    And so classes are a problem as I may sign up and not make it back in time Or get home to soon and not be able to stay for them.

This is making getting my CPL a big pain right now.

I would gladly come to you for a range day! Your not that far from me.
    Problem is most of the time I can give you 2-4 days heads up that I will be in town and ready to go.

If that's cool with you then I'm game!
    I will be free Wednesday for most of the day then off to work for a few weeks to a month. Might stay till Thursday, but I'm not sure yet.

PM me contact info if that might work for you.

Joeywhat.
    Yes I am right handed. Though trigger control may be a problem for me. I have an injury to my hand that deformed it slightly. It limits my range of motion in 3 of my fingers. Including my trigger finger.

This is something I will have to work past. Or around.
    But am sure I can overcome!

Thanks guys!

I am a Forum User
    I'm working through the exact same issue right now. I spent most of last year rifle shooting and switched back to pistols just last weekend.

Low and left is typical for a right handed shooter. It can be caused by a flinch, bad trigger control or squeezing the grip with your pinky and ring finger while you you squeeze the trigger (or all three).

The best fix is to dry fire at home with a snap cap or dummie round. Pull the trigger a few times and watch the muzzle. Then work on your grip and trigger pull until the muzzle doesn't move.

You can also check to see if you're breaking your wrist or squeezing with your lower fingers by just making a fist and pulling an "air" trigger. In my case I could see my whole hand tilting.

After about 1/2 hour of dry firing I've got most of it worked out. I've modified my grip some and learned to steady my wrist muscles before pulling the trigger. Otherwise you'll tense those muscles during the pull which will rotate it low and left.

Good luck.

I am a Forum User
    It comes from curling your trigger finger rather then pulling straight back on the trigger like your supposed to. It is a trait found with most male shooters so don't get too worked up over it. It just means you need to work on it and gain some muscle memory. Think of how a pitcher has to throw every day for years before he can throw a strike without thinking about it. Like stated earlier....practice alot while keeping a mental notehow & where yourtrigger finger istraveling through the process.....

I am a Forum User
    I would say you might have a slight flinch where you are anticipating the recoil and slightly pushing down with your shooting hand. It does not have to be very pronounced to result in a significant deviation, and chances are you aren't even aware you're doing it. I am working on correcting the same kind of low-left shooting. One way to know for sure is to have someone else load up your magazines and throw in a snap cap or two, then watch you shoot.
    Last edited by sakata8242; 03-10-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Wow are you guys off base.........

Lost of self correcting training scars i see

let me know i can often do a day like that when im in town
    we can shoot

Currling , pinky fingers etc is all BS
    often dry fire only makes the issue worse Tom has outlined many times beofre as have others
    often a flinch can also be a timing the gun issue

Account Closed Forum User
    Wheres the PIE chart!!!!!!!!!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RSF
    let me know i can often do a day like that when im in town
    we can shoot
    Dry firing brought my first target right on tonight. Second target was back to the same old low/left. On the third target I walked the circle. After that I started dry firing between 10 shot groups. I was able to bring in back by the last group. I had 4 almost in the same hole, the rest centered and 1 flyer. Not there yet but I'm working on it.

If you got the cure for this flinch/pull or whatever it is sign me up and bring it on!

Seriously let me know. I'm only down in Westland and don't mind driving for some good training.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast