Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

M1 Garand the Gas Tube is loose fit to barrel

The gas tube slips very easily on and off the barrel. After the gas plug is tightened down the gas tube and front sight assy moves slightly.

Reading on the internet, it seems that peening the splines on the barrel is the recommended fix. I have a lot more trust in some of the MGO members than the internet in general. Is this the recommended fix?

I am a little hesitant to peen the splines on the barrel but it seems that the internal splines on the gas tube would be safer but harder to peen.

What do you think guys?

Thanks in advance!

Max
    If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

My Garand was like this, and yes you can peen the splines, a little at a time check fit and repeat if ness. What you would like to do is get the fit to a point where the 'nut' will tighten down with out any play.

I am a Forum User

"Peening"

Use a small (8 oz) ball peen hammer, using the ball end. Gently tap the edges of the splines to "roll over" the corner of the spline. Tap once, and check the fit. You do want to be able to remove it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Michigan
    Use a small (8 oz) ball peen hammer, using the ball end. Gently tap the edges of the splines to "roll over" the corner of the spline. Tap once, and check the fit. You do want to be able to remove it again.
    Please listen to Mike.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Thanks guys!

Max
    If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

I am a Forum User
    Don't use a ballpeen hammer. Use a 9/16 socket and whack the socket instead.

I am a Forum User
    After you peen the splines just make sure you do everything in your power not to take the gas tube off.

I am a Forum User

Socket whacking

I concur with ChaneyD. Using a socket, or other hard cylindrical object will roll over the edge of the spline evenly, without leaving the pebbly "peened" look. Good tip!

I am a Forum User
    The other thing to keep in mind is to keep the peening fairly even on both sides of the splines. If you peen one side of a spline more than the other, it will want to force the gas cylinder to that side a bit, rotating the gas cylinder slightly around the barrel.