Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Pocket pistol, Ruger LCP vs. Beretta Bobcat & Tomcat

I have a Ruger LCP that I am not really happy with. Mainly, it consistently misfeeds. I have fired approx. 2000 rounds through it. I would say I have used at least 6 different types of ammo. I would estimate it has misfed about 50 times. I have tried different methods of cleaning, lubrication & nothing seems to help. Just when I get a few dozen rounds off without issue and think I might have solved it, it bites me in the ass again. I have lost confidence in this gun.

2 of the guns I was thinking about replacing it with were the Beretta Model 21 Bobcat (in .25 auto) or the Beretta 3032 Tomcat.

I was wondering if anyone had fired either of these & what their opinion was.

How does the ballastics of a .25 auto or .32 ACP compare to the .380 the Ruger LCP is chambered in?

Thanks.

Account Closed Forum User
    Have you called Ruger ?They will send you a pre-paid shipper . Have you changed the recoil springs . They are weak from the factory and last about 500 rounds. Have you polished the feed ramp and chamber entry?

No on the 25 and 32 ,the 380 is better ,will send PM with link

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TomE
    Have you called Ruger ?They will send you a pre-paid shipper . Have you changed the recoil springs . They are weak from the factory and last about 500 rounds. Have you polished the feed ramp and chamber entry?

No on the 25 and 32 ,the 380 is better ,will send PM with link
    I have not called Ruger. I have not changed the recoil springs, but that was my next move if I kept the gun. Is their a particular brand of aftermarket spring that will be superior to the weak factory springs? I have not polished the feed ramp or chamber entry. This is the first handgun I have owned that had so many reliability issues so I more or less gave up on it. Last week I went to the range with a box of 50 Winchester 95 gr. FMJ & I had 2 misfeeds. I was ready to move on. Thanks for your response.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCutting
    I have not called Ruger. I have not changed the recoil springs, but that was my next move if I kept the gun. Is their a particular brand of aftermarket spring that will be superior to the weak factory springs? I have not polished the feed ramp or chamber entry. This is the first handgun I have owned that had so many reliability issues so I more or less gave up on it. Last week I went to the range with a box of 50 Winchester 95 gr. FMJ & I had 2 misfeeds. I was ready to move on. Thanks for your response.
    Where are you located? you can shoot mine and we can see if it is you or the gun. I would think that after 2K rounds that feed ramp should be good to go without having to polish it.

MGO Member
    I would say I have at least 1000 rounds through my LCP with maybe one failure...I was shooting lefty and absoutely limp wristed it...no polish anything...well, I've run at least 800 ball nose through it as well.

I've never had to deal with Ruger before. I'd check with them first.

I'll replace with these when it's needed.
    http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%...1/mID52/dID422

I am a Forum User
    I have had 3 Tomcats........................Because the frame would crack after the first couple mags though it, over and over again.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCutting
    I have a Ruger LCP that I am not really happy with. Mainly, it consistently misfeeds. I have fired approx. 2000 rounds through it. I would say I have used at least 6 different types of ammo. I would estimate it has misfed about 50 times. I have tried different methods of cleaning, lubrication & nothing seems to help. Just when I get a few dozen rounds off without issue and think I might have solved it, it bites me in the ass again. I have lost confidence in this gun.

2 of the guns I was thinking about replacing it with were the Beretta Model 21 Bobcat (in .25 auto) or the Beretta 3032 Tomcat.

I was wondering if anyone had fired either of these & what their opinion was.

How does the ballastics of a .25 auto or .32 ACP compare to the .380 the Ruger LCP is chambered in?

Thanks.

Stop limp wristing it nancy... HOw clean do you keep it?

Also, I have heard lots of good things about the diamondback DB9... maybe you should upgrade.

I am a Forum User
    The ballistics of the .25 ACP are WORSE than the .22LR - 'Nuff said.

Obviously, any gun is better than NO gun, as long as it shoots reliably, but I would seriously look for something with more power than the .25 ACP.

I personally would want nothing smaller than 9mm or .38 Special.

Regardless of the caliber, good shot placment will trump twenty misses any day. As that young motel clerk in SC recently found out when she killed the man that was trying to rape her, who outweighed her by more than 100 lbs and towered a foot over her, with a single point blank shot to the chest with a .22LR caliber pistol.

Of the .25 Auto, firearms legend Jeff Cooper once quipped,
    "... carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you."

I am a Forum User
    Have you considered a revolver? Simple, and goes bang every time. You can carry the LCP as a BUG if you feel more than 5 rounds is necessary.

I am a Forum User
    Out of the box my LCP had afew issues, I new breaking it in would help and with info from the LCP forum I polished my feed ramp... I now can chew through all types of ammo, ball, bull nose, even the critical defense rounds I carry with it.... polish that feed ramp till it looks like a mirror

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast