Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Good scope for a .22 / .17 HMR target rifle ... looking for advice / info ...

OK Ladies and Gentlemen,

So based on some excellent advice given to me by forum members I purchased a CZ 455 .22 / .17 HMR target rifle today ... next step, looking for a quality optic.

There seems to be even more selection out there in optics than there was in rifles (ugh!) and I know even less about rifle scopes than the rifles themselves.

I am a semi-pro photographer, so I do appreciate the need for "good glass" ... but when buying lenses for a camera there's a lot less selection / variation than there seems to be in rifle scopes. If you want a telephoto for your Canon SLR you can buy Canon, Sigma, Tamron and a few others ... and they all cost ballpark the same amount (given equal max aperture, focal length, presence of IS etc.)

But in scopes it seems one can buy a $25 Barska up through a $1000 Leupold ... that on the surface at least have the same "numbers" (i.e. magnification) and look roughly the same.

Now, I appreciate that they're NOT the same ... but I'd love to have a "scope nerd" school me on what the key differences are, and what to look for in buying.

Since I don't intend to hunt with this rig, weather seals, especially rugged construction etc. aren't a big concern ... and I imagine (I could be wrong) that shooting .22 and .17 HMR won't generate enough recoil to make durability problematic from that end. So really, the biggest issue for me is quality of optics and a scope that stays zeroed on target once it's been sighted in.

So ... if you're so inclined ... have at educating this newb ... I'm sure others will learn something from the discussion as well.

I am a Forum User
    http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-53801-...065378&sr=8-22

[youtube]rAy2f-scPys[/youtube]

WELL worth the money, and for $200 you can't beat it

I am a Forum User
    Here's a way to frame the discussion (perhaps).

A quick and dirty Amazon search reveals the following 4 scopes:

A Barska 3-9 x 40 for $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-3-9x40-...065613&sr=1-17

A Bushnell 4-12 x 40 for $88.20

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banne...ef=pd_sbs_sg_3

A Nikon 4-12 x 40 for $189.36

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ProStaff...m_cr_pr_sims_t

A Leupold 4 - 12 x 40 for $429.99

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Rifles...4065497&sr=1-6

OK ... I know the Barska has 3-9x magnification and the others are 4-12x but that aside ... school me on the differences between the 4 scopes. If you were the Leupold salesman and you were trying to convince me to drop $430 (as opposed to much less for the other 3) what would you say?

I am a Forum User
    Glock ... that certainly looks like a good deal on a Leupold ... which just about everyone speaks highly of. With a rimfire rifle it strikes me that 3 - 9x magnification will be plenty ... not sure I need 4 - 12x.

The scope you linked to is the VX I as opposed to the VX II in the video ... can you explain the difference between the two models to me?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimDoc
    Glock ... that certainly looks like a good deal on a Leupold ... which just about everyone speaks highly of. With a rimfire rifle it strikes me that 3 - 9x magnification will be plenty ... not sure I need 4 - 12x.

The scope you linked to is the VX I as opposed to the VX II in the video ... can you explain the difference between the two models to me?
    3x9 is a great scope, but the 4x12 makes it easier to print small groups.

I am a Forum User
    Take a look at Redfield. Made by Leupold w/ the same warranties. Great scope for around $200. I have one on my .17 and love it.

I am a Forum User
    VX-II, Newer, Positive click 1/4 minute of angle adjustments, IMO crisper glass,

VX-I , older, friction adjustments,

Directly from Leupold

VX-I
    The VX-I also utilizes a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II technology, utilizing ¼-MOA friction (non-clicking) adjustments. The external lenses are multicoated and the internal lenses use magnesium fluoride.

VX-II
    The VX-II line (2003 and older) uses a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II (discontinued) technology. VX-II’s also utilize ¼-MOA click adjustments, but the lens coatings are unique. The external lenses are coated with Multicoat 4 and the internal lenses are coated with magnesium fluoride.
    Beginning in 2004, the VX-II line is fully multicoated and will perform comparably to the discontinued Vari-X III line.

I am a Forum User
    You opted for the better rifle, opt for the better scope and be done with it.

Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40mm Rifle Scope - 56170 Riflescope ($259):

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-...fle-scope.html

Leupold VX-I 4-12x40mm Rifle Scope ($279):

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-...x-reticle.html

For the record, I love my Nikon Scopes...

Banned
    OK Ladies and Gentlemen,

So based on some excellent advice given to me by forum members I purchased a CZ 455 .22 / .17 HMR target rifle today ... next step, looking for a quality optic.

There seems to be even more selection out there in optics than there was in rifles (ugh!) and I know even less about rifle scopes than the rifles themselves.

I am a semi-pro photographer, so I do appreciate the need for "good glass" ... but when buying lenses for a camera there's a lot less selection / variation than there seems to be in rifle scopes. If you want a telephoto for your Canon SLR you can buy Canon, Sigma, Tamron and a few others ... and they all cost ballpark the same amount (given equal max aperture, focal length, presence of IS etc.)

But in scopes it seems one can buy a $25 Barska up through a $1000 Leupold ... that on the surface at least have the same "numbers" (i.e. magnification) and look roughly the same.

Now, I appreciate that they're NOT the same ... but I'd love to have a "scope nerd" school me on what the key differences are, and what to look for in buying.

Since I don't intend to hunt with this rig, weather seals, especially rugged construction etc. aren't a big concern ... and I imagine (I could be wrong) that shooting .22 and .17 HMR won't generate enough recoil to make durability problematic from that end. So really, the biggest issue for me is quality of optics and a scope that stays zeroed on target once it's been sighted in.

So ... if you're so inclined ... have at educating this newb ... I'm sure others will learn something from the discussion as well.

Go Leupold fixed 6x42.

I shoot Canon pretty hard(40D,1Ds,1DMK2n,1D3). Have a fair amount of "L" glass,but do dote on the Siggy 50/1.4,Tammie 28-75/2.8 Macro(newest version)...for conversation.....................

I am a Forum User
    OK folks ... so I don't mean to be a ***** ... but so far I've heard a lot of "Buy Leupold ... they're awesome!" and not that I'm doubting you ... but no one has yet really explained WHY.

I'm a "why" kinda guy ... I'm not just going to buy a Rolex cuz it's a Rolex or a Jaguar because it's a Jaguar ... in fact, I worked on Jaguar engine development in a previous career ... they didn't impress me much, leaked oil all over the place because of a design flaw.

Again ... I appreciate that good quality optics are important. And I get that the general answer is "Leupold Scopes have good quality optics" ... but don't the other brands?

As I said earlier, I'm a semi-pro photographer. I shoot Canon gear (a 7D) ... I appreciate the quality of Canon L series lenses (the professional line) ... but I recently bought a Sigma 50-500 OS telephoto instead of a Canon L series telephoto because I shot series of test photos with both and found that I liked the Sigma image quality and feature set better ... at a lower price.

So ... scope nerds ... school me (I really am pleading ignorance here) ... what is it about Leupold that makes them so superior (and worth the extra expense)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast