Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

Arthritis and shooting need suggestion

A young friend of the family abt 29 has arthritis quite badly. She wants a home protection weapon. Her fingers badly miss shaped. On most pistols: she can't pull slide back. On others she can't pull a double action trigger back.
    I'm now thinking a .22. While it is not the best in stopping power. I think 10+. Rounds in to a perp is better than throwing a pillow.
    Any brands or models I could recommend. Then try it out at a range.

I am a Forum User
    dont count out semi pistols ....yet...

there are mechanical aids for this... I used one for my 1911 for a few years..
    ( same deal... arthritis.... but not as bad... )

here is the concept... it attaches to the sight notch in the slide... ( or elsewhere...depends on the model, etc... )

here is a picture of but one such animal... VERY usefull for her condition!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glock-Pistol...-/280675597063

check it out! where there is a will, there is a way!

good luck

In 22s it's hard (if not impossible) to beat the Rugers. They are reliable, accurate, and hold 10 rounds. The slide takes very little effort to retract and the single action trigger pull shouldn't be a problem. I'd go with the bull barrel model as it has the least recoil.

Then the issue will be to experiment with some of the hot hollow point ammo on the market to find one that the gun likes.

If needed there are a lot of red dot and laser options for this gun too.

Good Luck.

You might want to check out one of the Beretta tip up models. The 3032 Tomcat is a .32 ACP seven plus one (8 round total) DA/SA model. That means the first shot is DA and the rest are single action. You insert your loaded magazine, tip up the barrel and place a round in the chamber, close the barrel and it's ready to go. No racking the slide. They also have a Bobcat model available in .22 and .25.
    While .32 ACP wouldn't be considered a best choice for self defense, I'm sure the cartridge has placed many on the "below ground list" over the years.
    I know I wouldn't care to have one fired my way and it definitely beats a sharp stick in the eye.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/25340
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

Account Closed

MGO Member
    You might also consider a home defense shot gun. Easy to load, point and shoot. Also with semi-auto pistol, if it is for self-defense, it should be loaded ahead of time. A full size 9mm can hold 17rds which should be plenty so reloading wouldn't be a problem. As far as practicing, have some one go with her to the range to help her reload. It is more fun to shoot with someone else too.

Quote Originally Posted by jolari
    You might also consider a home defense shot gun. Easy to load, point and shoot. Also with semi-auto pistol, if it is for self-defense, it should be loaded ahead of time. A full size 9mm can hold 17rds which should be plenty so reloading wouldn't be a problem. As far as practicing, have some one go with her to the range to help her reload. It is more fun to shoot with someone else too.

lets address this

first a shotgun is not a point and shoot weapon you are wrong there sorry..
    also they can be heavy and recoil can be an issue with the medical condition.

next nice idea about the 9mm sure while true what about a malfunctions caused by the medical condition due to possible limp wrisitng so again now we add into the problem malfunction clearing

my thoughts on this are a 10 shot 22 revolver or 22 mag

if not a good semi auto 22mag is a better choice
    the tip Beretta while good has terrible triggers.. and are limited on terminal performance due to barrel length

I am a Forum User
    PMR 30 maybe....

22 mag with very little recoil and 30 round magazine.

With the 4 screws on top I can design and build a charge handle for her.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwg
    PMR 30 maybe....

22 mag with very little recoil and 30 round magazine.

With the 4 screws on top I can design and build a charge handle for her.

Could also look around for a Grendel, pretty much the same, .22 mag 30rds.

A worked over .380 might be another option.

Quote Originally Posted by RSF
    lets address this

first a shotgun is not a point and shoot weapon you are wrong there sorry..
    also they can be heavy and recoil can be an issue with the medical condition.

next nice idea about the 9mm sure while true what about a malfunctions caused by the medical condition due to possible limp wrisitng so again now we add into the problem malfunction clearing

my thoughts on this are a 10 shot 22 revolver or 22 magif not a good semi auto 22mag is a better choice

the tip Beretta while good has terrible triggers.. and are limited on terminal performance due to barrel length
    I thought the OP stated she can't pull a DA trigger back. If we're going to suggest a revolver, why limit it to a .22 caliber?
    While I've not owned a Tomcat I have owned an 84FS and a 92FS. While the first shot in DA does suck, the remaining shots in SA aren't that bad. If she could thumb the hammer back on the first shot, then all shots are SA. Definitely better than most stock DA revolver triggers.
    That PMR 30 with a charge handle might just be the ticket.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast