Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have to show off my new craft...Leather Holsters

Just finished my second hand made leather holster and I have to show someone. I'm going batty since no one in my family really shoots...or makes much with their hands. Leather Holsters

Most recently finished for my buckmark. The stitching is a bit rough and overcut a small section at the belt loop, but it has a nice rugged 'vampire hunter' feel to it. I tried to add some flair with the dual magazine pouch comfortably tucked in the crescent of the paddle. I'm wearing the setup now without discomfort. It is intended to be more of a rear sitting holster for hunting and sport shooting.

Last week I finished a more classic revolver holster for my GP100. Nothing fancy. Found I needed some more attention put towards making the belt loops. I think the design worked out nice though. I made the strap completely removable for PPC use, and also placed it in an ergonomic location for quick realease if you need the gun strapped in. for an obstacle. Since the buttons are on the front and back of the strap, when one is released the other allows the strap to idly slide forward and out of the way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66451720@N07/?saved=1

IMAG0252 by dr3am1, on Flickr

IMAG0266 by dr3am1, on Flickr

IMAG0257 by dr3am1, on Flickrwidth="500" height="299" alt="IMAG0252"></a>

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Wow!!! Very Nice Work...

I am a Forum User
    Love the buck mark holster would love something like that for mine

I am a Forum User
    Those are nice early holsters. You're hooked and it only gets worse from here

I too am a hobbyist holster maker and if you haven't done so yet go on and register at www.leatherworker.net They have a dedicated holster and sheath section with a lot of great info and people.

May I ask how you're laying out your stitch lines, marking your stitch locations, and stitching? I may be able to offer some ideas....no use in trying to reinvent the wheel when other people long before us have figured this stuff out.

Also if you don't have it yet Al Stohlman's book "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" is a must have for those of us that can't afford sewing machines and must do it all the old fashioned way. It's full of great, easy to follow instructions and drawings.

Bronson

thanks!

I used a stitch pattern wheel to mark then a small dremel bit to open the holes. Unbraided some sinew and im using that to stitch and ..sortof backstitch from either side all the way up.

Thanks for the tips! Ill have to check those out...i am hooked btw you should see the case i made for my extended battery phone...

I am a Forum User
    Looks good,maybe in the future you can make one that fits a 22A with a red dot scope.

I am a Forum User
    very nice work

Thanks guys! Love the feedback. I will be making a thigh rig for the revolver that will accomodate a scope or reddot, eventually maybe a hip rig for a reflex site on the buckmark as well.

Although I would love making some for people, as already mentioned these are early products and I need refinement.. although they are good enough for me for the time being. My time is also extremely limited so itd be tough to justify it. Unfortunately i dont have a 22a to mold and form a pattern for. PM me if you aren't put off yet lol.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3am
    I used a stitch pattern wheel to mark then a small dremel bit to open the holes. Unbraided some sinew and im using that to stitch and ..sortof backstitch from either side all the way up.

Thanks for the tips! Ill have to check those out...i am hooked btw you should see the case i made for my extended battery phone...
    I couldn't tell from the pics but are you using a stitch groover? If not get one. It will help keep your stitches in line and bring the stitches even with the top of the leather so they won't snag on things.

This is a good one: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...s/8069-00.aspx

This is a better one (you can use it as a creaser also): http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e.../88081-00.aspx

This is a crappy one that isn't worth your consideration: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...s/8074-00.aspx

And then there is the free hand groover for those times when you're not near an edge: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e.../88074-11.aspx

Get the Stohlman book and learn how to do a proper saddle stitch with an awl and two needles. It takes some practice but since I've learned how I'll never got back to doing hand stitching the way I started.

My first advice would be to clean up your edges and stitch lines. Clean even edges and stitches make all the difference in the world. Round over all corners, since they get folded and dog-eared easily and round flowing lines are typically more pleasing to the eye than sharp angular lines.

Go read everything you can at Leatherworker.net about edge burnishing. It is damn near an art all by itself but a well finished edge is one of the first things I look for on a hand-made holster.

Keep it up.

Bronson

Those are two nice looking holsters. If those are your first ones, and you presumably get better at it, you could certainly have a successful cottage industry going.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast