Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Is there a DIY process for setting up an NFA trust?

I'm sure many of us are wanting to do this, while keeping costs down. Is there anything already existing out there that can be easily modified, or any stock software that can be used to generate simply NFA trusts?

$400 spent on setting up an NFA trust is $400 I could put towards either another suppressor, or towards buying a better first suppressor.

I am a Forum User
    There is Will Creating software that will handle trusts but unless you know exactly what you're doing I would think about it before taking that dive.

A lot of people use this type of software to setup their trusts for NFA purchases all over the country. If you plan on going this route read,read,read,read, etc. and make sure you know exactly what you're creating, how to use it, and the rest of the bag.

Well, if one person gets the template perfected, wouldn't it essentially be plug and go for everyone else - with the names changing?

I can't imagine most of these would have to be totally unique from person to person.

I am a Forum User
    I might give the quicken will maker software a try. It $35 to use, if the end product looks like an abortion I will go the lawyer rout. I have been doing a ton of reading on the subject and many people have used the software with great success (i have yet to find a failure).

Interested to see other comments in the thread. If someone has already done it I would love to hear about your experience.

should we compile a list of threads on the topic or suggestions for setting up an NFA trust and pin it in here?

i have to think 90% of these forms will be the same.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by chosos
    should we compile a list of threads on the topic or suggestions for setting up an NFA trust and pin it in here?

i have to think 90% of these forms will be the same.
    The trust itself isn't hard to cut and paste. However, there are some nuances of law from state to state that need to be addressed. You definitely want a LAWYER to at least review your trust.

Worst case scenario: Your trust sneaks by the ATF and you get your Title 3 toy. Later, as the ATF begins to recognize Michigan more closely, you attempt to get a new NFA item, and your Trust is recognized as invalid. Your stamp is revoked, and you end up with un-registered NFA items in your possession.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RECON762WT
    I might give the quicken will maker software a try. It $35 to use, if the end product looks like an abortion I will go the lawyer rout. I have been doing a ton of reading on the subject and many people have used the software with great success (i have yet to find a failure).

Interested to see other comments in the thread. If someone has already done it I would love to hear about your experience.
    The 2011 Quicken Will Maker software (Owned by Nolo) DOES NOT have trusts as part of the package. When you install the software, it gives you the option of using their website to create a living trust. It's very clunky, hard to navigate, and you only get a .pdf of the final trust. It makes it impossible to edit unless you have a .pdf editor. To make it worse, there are Nolo's branding and name scattered in the document to show the world who did it.

Here is a website showing other issues with using Quicken Will Maker for NFA items, http://nevadaguntrustattorney.com/20...ken-willmaker/

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by CnA
    The 2011 Quicken Will Maker software (Owned by Nolo) DOES NOT have trusts as part of the package.
    Waa..waa. I stand corrected.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by CnA
    The 2011 Quicken Will Maker software (Owned by Nolo) DOES NOT have trusts as part of the package. When you install the software, it gives you the option of using their website to create a living trust. It's very clunky, hard to navigate, and you only get a .pdf of the final trust. It makes it impossible to edit unless you have a .pdf editor. To make it worse, there are Nolo's branding and name scattered in the document to show the world who did it.

Here is a website showing other issues with using Quicken Will Maker for NFA items, http://nevadaguntrustattorney.com/20...ken-willmaker/
    Qwm or other diy routes may not be the best option for an nfa trust with 50 or 100k worth of stuff in it, but they should be fine for a suppressor or two..

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast