Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Hi guys. Forgive my ignorance but what is the actual point of Michigan's pistol registration? I guess I need to understand that first before I can decide who I feel about removal of said registration.

Is it merely to ensure that they end up in Federal records? Or is the state actually keeping their own records?

If merely for Federal record then it seems redundant and stupid. Law abiding citizens are the only ones who are going to obey this. With that in mind, they've already obeyed the law and the weapon was registered at time of legal purchase. Criminals don't give a rip so they don't apply anyway.

If in order to keep a state registration database - well, that seems unconstitutional to me and a waste of resources.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 45/70fan
    To quote Nancy Pelosi, you'll just have to wait until it's passed to read it then.
    That's UGLY on both counts!!! LOL

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by leavitron
    Hi guys. Forgive my ignorance but what is the actual point of Michigan's pistol registration? I guess I need to understand that first before I can decide who I feel about removal of said registration.

Is it merely to ensure that they end up in Federal records? Or is the state actually keeping their own records?

If merely for Federal record then it seems redundant and stupid. Law abiding citizens are the only ones who are going to obey this. With that in mind, they've already obeyed the law and the weapon was registered at time of legal purchase. Criminals don't give a rip so they don't apply anyway.

If in order to keep a state registration database - well, that seems unconstitutional to me and a waste of resources.
    Firearms registration in Michigan (one of only 6 states that require registration) is do to the political influence the Klu Klux Klan had in our city,county and state government in the mid 1920's. It was a law to keep guns out of the hands of the black people in our state.

Since that time, it has been used as a "safety measure" to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals (the same purpose for the federal laws).

You can find a history of Michigan's firearm registration by Googling "Dr. Ossian Sweet, Detroit, MI."

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolford427
    That's UGLY on both counts!!! LOL
    Your taking my quote out of context: it was made in a reply to an individual because they didn't want to read it but rather have it summarized for them.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The General
    can someone give me a summary of what this bill is about? I don't feel like reading the whole thing.....

I am a Forum User
    Thank you Tallbear. I will.

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless
    It is time to demand the end of handgun registration in Michigan! The Republicans claim to be the party that defends the second amendment and they control both houses and the governor's office. I think this election year would be an excellent time to find out which elected officials truly believe in the right to keep and bear arms.
    I agree

Is the NRA News story about this bill accurate?

Today the NRA News website is reporting that this bill would eliminate the permit to purchase requirement and eliminate handgun registration, as well. Neither of those things were included in the version that I read. This sounds like an entirely new version.

I am a Forum User
    From the NRA email,

Michigan House Judiciary Committee to Consider Repeal of Handgun Permit-to-Purchase and Registration

"The Michigan House Judiciary Committee is reviewing an important and long-overdue bill that would eliminate the state handgun “permit-to-purchase” and registration requirements. Although a date has not been announced, House Bill 5225 will be heard in the House Judiciary Committee sometime after the spring recess."

Unless I have not had enough coffee, I did not see anything of the sort in reading the bill that would do that.

I am a Forum User
    Here is the reply I received from an NRA rep. when I emailed them about the discrepency.

Thank you for contacting NRA-ILA.

As the bill stands now you are correct. However, we have been working to add new language to the bill (which we will release closer to the hearing date) that, if adopted, will abolish both the permit to purchase and registration. We tried to link the “new language” into the alert, but it apparently did not work. We thank you for bringing this to our attention and we will correct that problem as soon as possible.

Again, thank you for your inquiry and please do not hesitate to share any of your thoughts or concerns in the future.

Sincerely,

Kyle C

NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
    Bronson

I am a Forum User
    Thanks Bronson for finding out what was going on.

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast