Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

H.B. 5282 Transport of firearm

HB 5282 of 2012
    Weapons; other; transportation of firearms for lawful purpose; expand. Amends sec. 231a of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.231a).

Banned
    About time!

I am a Forum User
    Um, I thought you could already do this? I thought they decided years ago transporting a pistol was OK as long as it wasn't readily accessible.

It used to say you could only transport for going to the range or to a place or purchase or repair or certain things like that. Now it says you can transport for all "lawful purposes"

You still need a CPL

I am a Forum User
    Soooo.... If I DO NOT have a CPL, I can do the following(?):

1. Buy a pistol in the morning
    2. Carry it around with me buy leave it in the trunk, unloaded (mags/ammo separate, etc.) running various errands all day until...
    3. Arrive at home and store the weapon.

????

Does not compute.

I'm a noob at this, so help me out please.

I am a Forum User
    This sounds great and all...but you still need a CPL to carry in your vehicle. The drafting of this was pretty much a waste of tax payer dollars because you can still do what you could do before, it just made it less wordy. What we need is for this to be ammended to allow the lawful CARRY of a firearm in your vehicle even if you do not possess a CPL.

Waste of time in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMark
    Soooo.... If I DO NOT have a CPL, I can do the following(?):

1. Buy a pistol in the morning
    2. Carry it around with me buy leave it in the trunk, unloaded (mags/ammo separate, etc.) running various errands all day until...
    3. Arrive at home and store the weapon.

????

Does not compute.

I'm a noob at this, so help me out please.
    1 Depends on your PD hours.
    2. a.OC anywhere not listed in MCL 750.234d. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...e=mcl-750-234d premisis, not just buildings. Grocery stores are no go, they have license to sell alcohol.
    2. b. gun has to be in a case designed for a firearm, and in the trunk, unless the vehicle has no trunk. In such a vehicle, the gun must be in a case designed for a firearm, unloaded, and in a place not easily accesible to the occupants. The magazines may be loaded, and even in the same case, but not placed in the magazine well, or loaded in the chamber. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...e=mcl-750-231a The case does not have to be locked. In a situation where you do not have a trunk, corvette, truck, etc, it is recommended that you lock the case. No duty to disclose without CPL, just refuse to consent to searches, and do not acknowledge the presence of the firearm.
    3.You can OC or CC at home.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the insight.

I'm a bit fuzzy on what "PD" means. Police Department?

The pragmatic change I think I'm noticing in this bill (not a law yet, right?) is that sans CPL the pistol's transportation is no longer limited to to-and-from-the-range. Have I got that right?

Something in your 2b confuses me. The bit about grocery stores. They're not selling by the glass to be consumed on the premises. And surely they don't make the majority of their money selling alcohol. I don't see how grocery stores are a no-go for cc with a CPL.

I am a Forum User
    Okay, let me try to clarify. You can currently transport a handgun in a vehicle without a CPL for all lawful purposes if the handgun is unloaded and cased in truck, etc..

What is confusing is that some PDs still think you can only carry if you are going to and from the places listed in the CURRENT law. The CURRENT law allows ALL LAWFUL purposes AND gives a FEW examples like en route to...

Because there is confusing in this regard the statute proposed above would eliminate this by just saying ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES and get rid of the examples. This makes the legislative intent clearer. That's all this does.

But currently you CAN transport for any and all lawful purposes and self-defense is a lawful purpose.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast