Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMark
    Thanks for the insight.

I'm a bit fuzzy on what "PD" means. Police Department?

The pragmatic change I think I'm noticing in this bill (not a law yet, right?) is that sans CPL the pistol's transportation is no longer limited to to-and-from-the-range. Have I got that right?

Something in your 2b confuses me. The bit about grocery stores. They're not selling by the glass to be consumed on the premises. And surely they don't make the majority of their money selling alcohol. I don't see how grocery stores are a no-go for cc with a CPL.
    If you do NOT have a CPL you can not possess a FIREARM in OR on the premises of ANY place that has a liquor license unless you have permission, see below. These places are like Krogers, party stores, gas stations, etc.

If you HAVE a CPL you can carry OC or CC in any place that sells alcohol, EXCEPT bars and taverns where you MUST OC to lawfully carry there.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

I am a Forum User
    I'm beginning to feel like one of the tall tower guards in Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail. "Now, umm...if..if...ahhh...if...wait..."

But I found these last two posts helpful and clarifying. Thanks!

Cheers!

I am a Forum User
    This bill is on a fast track. It's already in Third reading, if I read my Gongwer update correctly this afternoon (Maybe I didn't?)

This looks like a good start! It is nice to see a bill that would benefit all gun owners instead of a select few.

I am a Forum User
    Agreed. Legislave's post on the first page was confusing. Now it's a lot clearer.

I do have one question, though, regarding Venator12's post on this page...

"If you HAVE a CPL you can carry OC or CC in any place that sells alcohol, EXCEPT bars and taverns where you MUST OC to lawfully carry there."

This is not what I remember from my CPL class. Not saying you are wrong, this just differs. I only remember being told that in places that derive >50% of revenue from alcohol (so bar/tavern) you could not concealed carry. I don't recall anything being said about being able to open carry there. Please clarify.

(Forgive me if I start asking a lot of stupid questions in these threads. Really trying to bone up on the laws. Not totally post whoring, I promise.)

Quote Originally Posted by leavitron
    Agreed. Legislave's post on the first page was confusing. Now it's a lot clearer.

I do have one question, though, regarding Venator12's post on this page...

"If you HAVE a CPL you can carry OC or CC in any place that sells alcohol, EXCEPT bars and taverns where you MUST OC to lawfully carry there."

This is not what I remember from my CPL class. Not saying you are wrong, this just differs. I only remember being told that in places that derive >50% of revenue from alcohol (so bar/tavern) you could not concealed carry. I don't recall anything being said about being able to open carry there. Please clarify.

(Forgive me if I start asking a lot of stupid questions in these threads. Really trying to bone up on the laws. Not totally post whoring, I promise.)
    This thread will answer a lot of your questions, starting specifically the first bolded paragraph in the 2nd response.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=106501

Im really sorry if I had confused anyone, that was not my intent. I apologize.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Legislave
    Im really sorry if I had confused anyone, that was not my intent. I apologize.
    No need to apologize. I blame my confusion more on being a n00b that just passed the class and got his permit over anything else. Regardless, thank you for your kindness!

67390FE - your link was most helpful. Thank you!

Michigan firearms laws ate confusing. MOC had to explain it to the police, one member helped guide the MSP in making the MSP#86, I had to explain it to my state representative, its just one big clust er ****.

I am a Forum User
    I was discussing transporting firearms just the other day with my wife. I do not understand MI and transporting firearms laws. The authorities need a warrant to search your vehicle without consent just like your home. I own my vehicle and the title to it, just like my home, a warrant is needed to search it just like my home. I would assume it is like an extension of my home. I should be able to protect myself in my vehicle just like my home without a CPL. No ones business but mine. I do have my CPL btw. Rant over......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast