Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Shortening and recrowning a mosin

My m91/30 had the rifling worn out at the end of the barrel. So I lopped off about 3/4 of an inch to get back too good rifling. I used a file and a square to true the cut up. Then I used finer grit sharpening stones to clean it up. What is the best way to recrown it? I'm thinking of doing the brass screw and lapping compound trick. Has any one done this? I am also going to be putting a scout scope on this rifle in the near future. Has any one had any luck cutting down there barrel to 16.5 to improve the relative stiffness of the barrel?

Account Closed
    I used to cut and crown old 7mm Mausers for my deer hunting buddies back in the 60's & 70's. Like you, I used a hacksaw, trued up the cut with a file and a square. Then I'd take a Dremel tool, with a ball grinder. If you go slow, the ball will center itself to the bore. Follow it up with a polishing and you're done. I found this process to produce some very accurate carbines.

I am a Forum User
    A plain glass marble and valve lapping compound. Simple, but concentric.

A quality smith job runs $35'ish

I am a Forum User
    We need pictures!!!

I am a Forum User