Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage FCP McM

Banned

Savage FCP McM

Well earlier this year I sold off my 5r barreled action with a Timney trigger. I was sort of disappointed and was thinking about going to a different caliber other than the 308. A friend of mine rand across a FCP on GunBroker for sale here in MI. I won the bid on it and picked it up earlier this year.

I started trying to load development with the rifle and was seriously disappointed. I went from my 5r which was a 1/2 moa gun to the FCP and it was producing 2 1/2 moa groups at best. Even with some FGMM.

Rifle was sent back to Savage after talking to them, and three weeks later it was back. It said it was repaired but did not say what kind of repairs were done to it. The test target that they sent back was with TAP and .6". So needless I can I was much happier. I tried some M118LR and was getting 3/4 moa groups. So I started some load development with TAC and got some good groups. I decided that I would give some Varget a shot again. I loaded 5 at 45, 44.5, 44, 43.5. 44.5 was a 1/2 moa load with 8.29 sd's.

I will have to say that the McM A5 is a comfortable stock to lay behind. In the prone it is so comfortable I found my class, while the other shooter I was spotting for, closing my eyes I was so comfortable. It is textured where it needs to be and is well balanced with the rifle in it. I did have to cringe when I had to drill some holes when I needed to attach the rail for the Atlas bipod to it.

The action when I got it, had a tough bolt lift. Recently I completely degreased it and cleaned it up. After a good cleaning, I oiled the bolt really well and after that it was as smooth as my Remington. The only problem I have with it is the ball on the end of the bolt. It will be getting changed out for a Brownell's bolt in the next few months. I was slipping a little running the bolt the other weekend in the rain when it was wet. I also crunched my thumb knuckle a few times on the optic.

The Accutrigger was ok for a while but after the failure I will probably be replacing it with a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger. I will give it a few more months to see how it holds up. It does take some getting used to squeezing the blade back before you actually get into the trigger. The trigger breaks great after you get used to the Accutrigger. It has been consistent as far as the weight of the trigger. I only wish I could get it just a little lighter than what it is set at now. I have it adjusted as far down as I can possibly go. The action was a little out of spec when I went to mount the 20moa rail. I ended up mixing up some Arcaglass and bedding the base to the action to solve the problem.

All in all I like the rifle now that the rifle was repaired by Savage. I am considering getting the XLR Evolution Chassis for it.

300y group

I am a Forum User
    One hour and thrity eight minutes from Camp Perry.
    have Turner Tactical bed it an tune the trigger like he did to mine. If you do your part the gun will shoot same hole at 200 all day long!

Banned
    What did the bed job run? What did they do to the Accutrigger?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by EricF517
    What did the bed job run? What did they do to the Accutrigger?
    Good questions, IDK, it was all in the package. I do know that he tunes the trigger. It's like 1.75 lbs. I am going to switch out the stock I had to one like yours. Brian also lapped the barrel and I really can't see why I would do anything more to the gun except put the correct glass on it. It's that good, as you know.

Banned
    Well I am trying to get with a guy out to GR to take a look at his XLR chasis and see how I like it. If I decide to go with it I will be selling the McM A5 that is on my rifle now.

I am a Forum User
    Well I am trying to get with a guy out to GR to take a look at his XLR chasis and see how I like it. If I decide to go with it I will be selling the McM A5 that is on my rifle now.
    What will the XLR do for you?

Banned
    It would give me more of a feel of an AR type platform, and allow the use of AI mags. It is adjustable for length of pull and for comb height. Not to mention if I want I can get it in a folder so I don't ever have to play with comb height ever again. There is no pillar or skim bedding needed to mate the action to the chassis.

The Accutrigger was ok for a while but after the failure I will probably be replacing it with a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger. I will give it a few more months to see how it holds up. It does take some getting used to squeezing the blade back before you actually get into the trigger.
    I remove the blade in the triggers on my savages, no issues after thousands of rounds. It will lighten it a bit, and it feels way better.

Banned
    Well I might have to try that out. That was the only time I had a problem with the trigger, and my only other complaint is the bolt knob and that will be changed out with a Stockade knob, along with their bolt lift kit.

Dont look the greatest, but easy to reverse if you dont like it.

I also needed to bed my base, it really tapered off at the very back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast