Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    A friend of mine nailed one a week ago Monday, and said I should come out. I bought a left over tag, and out we went last Thursday. Things started really slow, except for the hen and long-bearded tom we discovered roosted directly over us after first light. Oddly, there were very few gobbles. The roosted birds headed the other direction, but just before 9am a few yelps were answered by a gobble several hundred yards away. A nice tom came into our two decoys, and was brought down.

Video linked below. For those who want the "money shot", the turkey goes down at 5:56. I let a brief expletive slip just after the shot. Sorry. I'll have to watch it a bit more in future videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40IimY6ifLs

I am a Forum User
    I HIT HIM AND HE DROPPED!!
    What a great story, and that bird is a monster! Wow! Congratulations. You sure played it right. I can just imagine your excitement with that fantastic turkey experience, one of the most fun hunting experiences going, IMHO.

I'm due for a gobbler, been getting jakes recently.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre
    A friend of mine nailed one a week ago Monday, and said I should come out. I bought a left over tag, and out we went last Thursday. Things started really slow, except for the hen and long-bearded tom we discovered roosted directly over us after first light. Oddly, there were very few gobbles. The roosted birds headed the other direction, but just before 9am a few yelps were answered by a gobble several hundred yards away. A nice tom came into our two decoys, and was brought down.

Video linked below. For those who want the "money shot", the turkey goes down at 5:56. I let a brief expletive slip just after the shot. Sorry. I'll have to watch it a bit more in future videos.

Another great hunt, really good video, too.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre

Great story and cool video.

The only thing I would say you could have done differently is try to not shoot through the tail fan. I did that on my first and cut a couple of feathers off. It just made the fan mount look a little less than perfect.

It still amazes me how oblivious they are to pop up blinds compared to a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Made_in_Michigan
    (Except the younger ones who still walk through the woods like semi retarded ducklings in a row.)
    Teenagers.....

I am a Forum User
    I did nip the fan a bit, but not bad. I knew it would be advantageous to wait, but I really wanted the kill on video, so I went for it. There actually is only one pellet-hole in the fan, so I got lucky.

I am a Forum User
    I've been busy the last week planting 800 norways. Tomorrow morning I'll be sitting. I have an old MAD cherry bomb that is cracked, but still makes the sweetest love song.

I haven't shot a turkey for several years. I've been trying archery in natural ground blinds, not tents.

I'm cheating tomorrow. Scorpyd Telson 130 crossbow will be in my lap. NAP Spitfire Maxx mechanical heads.

Time for bed.

Nice shot, Nice Bird, Nice Video........You might as well go to work now!!!
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

I am a Forum User
    Nice birds on here! My neighbor and I doubled up on two nice longbeards the second weekend of the ZZ early season.

I am a Forum User
    Didn't get one...

Turkey habitat...

Ever vigilant...

Ready to pick up and head to the city...

...but, I'm an expert at figuring out how to screw up my chances...!

Friday afternoon I arrive and go into my spot and hear a gobbler randomnly gobbling, 3:30 in the afternoon. Get all worked up and decide not to put up the decoys in the forward area, because I didn't want to spook'em. Started calling and within a minute I've got him on the line gobbling back. Short time later, I can definitely tell he's closing the distance. Short time later, I can see him trekking toward me, stopping to gobble and puffing out...exciting...! All the while I'm keeping up a steady stream of calling, like those guys do with the mouth calls, although I'm using a box call with a good similar effect, and it's working. Eventually, after nearly an hour of this, he came up behind a large stand of pines and can't see through. He stayed behind them gobbling like heck. Two times he came around the edge of them, in full sight, but 55 to 50 yards away, but not having my decoys out, guess he didn't see any point in coming closer. Went he went back behind them for the final time, he lost interest but still gobbled as he went away.

Realizing my mistake, I decided to try and keep him on the hook. At the same time I put my decoys right where they should have been all along. After about 15 minutes, he did return to nearly the same spot, but completely ignored both my calling and the decoys. He was done.

Rained out Saturday, but Sunday morning, didn't hear too much at daybreak, but by 8:30 there was some activity toward the other end of the field, 300 yds or so away. Several times I got gobbles in response to my calling, but he wouldn't close the distance. This went back and forth for over an hour and the gobbling stopped and I started packing up, by this time it was nearly 11:00. Waited about 15 minutes and yelped a bit more and got an immediate gobble, still too far away. So, I decided to stalk around the field inside the woods so as not to be seen. Rounded the corner and I peeked out a bit on the way and saw a turkey, but couldn't tell if a gobbler. I had my box call and let out a yelp or two, and heard some gobbling. I headed up the length of the field and knew I was getting pretty close to him, 20 - 30 yds, but there was a solid wall of cover from pine trees, so neither could see the other. This time I clucked a few times and he immediately gobbled! Move a few more steps and did the same with the same result.

So, here I am probably, 25 yds away from a gobbler in the field behind the trees and had no idea what to do. If I set up, he may have never actually made the effort to come in and find me. So, I did the wrong thing and decided to sneek up close to the cover and see him, get the gun up in hopes he wouldn't see me, too. Well, he saw me...LOL

What I should'a done is kept going up the field to the corner, nuther 40 yds or so, set up, cluck a bit to see if I could tease him up the edge of the field. Probably would have worked...Dang...!

On a brighter note, the asparagus was in.

I am a Forum User
    P.S. Stopped at Subway on the way home, turkey on whole wheat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast