Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Rifle Barrel Shortening

Can anyone near Macomb county cut down a rifle barrel for me and recrown the barrel or point me towards a good reputable gunsmith who has decent prices. A couple places I've called can't even give me a price to do it because they haven't cut a rifle down in such a long time.

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    What kind of rifle? The work involved in removing the barrel will be a huge factor.

I am a Forum User
    M91/30. I can remove everything, but does the barrel really need to be removed from the receiver?

According to Dick Williams web site $40-$65.
    http://dickwilliamsgunshop.com//gun_...rice_list.html
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWND3r
    M91/30. I can remove everything, but does the barrel really need to be removed from the receiver?
    Yes, if you want it done right.

I am a Forum User
    <deleted>
    Last edited by tlagnhoj; 02-05-2018 at 02:44 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tlagnhoj
    Donzie,

Where did you get this idea from???

Any competent gunsmith can shorten a barrel and re-crown it WITHOUT removing it from the action in MOST cases. There are damn few exceptions (none come to mind at the moment).

I did it 3 times to get my .222 Rem. bench gun tuned and never removed the barrel from the action. It will shoot groups in the low .020s to high teens when I'm having a good day.

That is a 10 round group @100yrds! And I had 2 get away from me. I'm pretty sure I got it right. What do you think?
    Looks damn good to me, wanna do mine too?

I thought I was the last guy out here shooting a .222!

And the tools to crown a barrel can be purchased through Brownell's relatively inexpensively. If you think you will be doing other barrels in the future, this becomes an attractive option.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Shoot...I've done both my 91/30 cut downs without removing the action...I just chucked 'em up in my lathe and crowned 'em as well. If you know a competent machinist, it's a piece of cake. If you plan to be in the flint area, I'll do it for you...

Account Closed
    To do it correctly in a lathe, you need to use a four-jaw chuck. Not all bores are concentric (centered within the O.D. of the barrel).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast