Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Trying to avoid making a SBR

Call me a dork, but I'm looking pretty hard at the RedJacket ZK-22 as featured on Sons of Guns. Link here http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/ind...mart&Itemid=19

I bought an old 10/22 last summer specifically for putting it in to a new stock kit, but I hadn't picked the kit I wanted yet. Well now I know the one I want. When I called them up this morning they didn't have a firm answer on total length since they're still getting the kits made up, but the girl on the line asked what the overall length would be when assembled, and Will told her that they would meet federal standards and didn't seem to know anything about Michigan laws (and I can't blame him for that).

I'm sure we all know that there seems to be a slight difference between federal rifle length and "Michigan pistols", so I have to ask: Will dropping a 10/22 in a kit that meets federal rifle requirements turn out to be making a short barreled rifle under Michigan law?

I don't want to pin a permanent muzzle brake on the front because I've got a .22lr suppressor in the works right now. My other option would be to put a customized (pronounced "expensive") 2-inch buttpad on the back, right? But then wouldn't assembling it make it a SBR for all of about a minute until I get that pad on? Does anybody have any experience with this particular gray area of the law?

I am a Forum User
    Michigan doesn't define short barreled rifles, federal law does. It will probably make it a MI pistol, however.

I am a Forum User
    It says that as long as your barrel is 18.5 inches or longer, it will meet federal requirements not to make your rifle an sbr. So as long as your barrel is 18.5 inches or longer, it will be over 26".

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    Michigan doesn't define short barreled rifles, federal law does. It will probably make it a MI pistol, however.
    Right, that's what I meant to say but didn't.
    Any input on the stock issue?

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    It says that as long as your barrel is 18.5 inches or longer, it will meet federal requirements not to make your rifle an sbr. So as long as your barrel is 18.5 inches or longer, it will be over 26".
    Yeah, it should make for a total of 28.5" or whatever is necessary, but doesn't michigan define anything under 30" as a pistol? How do I legally turn a rifle in to a "pistol"?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy
    Yeah, it should make for a total of 28.5" or whatever is necessary, but doesn't michigan define anything under 30" as a pistol? How do I legally turn a rifle in to a "pistol"?
    Since you are making a "MI pistol" , not a federal pistol you just register it.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 Nato
    Since you are making a "MI pistol" , not a federal pistol you just register it.
    So then I will have one rifle that is registered as a MI pistol, eh? This makes absolutely no sense.
    I think I'll go ahead and engrave "MI pistol" in to it just for fun...

Banned
    You're a Dork..........

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by ka64
    You're a Dork..........
    Well now that's just uncalled for.
    Anyway, I didn't feel like getting an archangel kit, and the tommy gun kits were too expensive, and the g36 kit had some bad reviews, and, and, and. Either way, this looks like a fun little kit, so I'll give it a shot.

You could also replace the barrel. I know that there are barrels on the market for the 10-22 that are 24 and 28" long. If the standard 10-22 "carbine barrel of 18.5" will get you a "federal legal" rifle, ie 26+". any barrel over 22.5" will give you at least the 30" that Michigan needs for it to not be a "pistol".

But since we are talking about OAL, you could get a standard 10-22 rifle barrel, which are 20", have it threaded for a can, and then just keep a "muzzle device" on it as a thread protector. You only need to gain 2.5 inchs. You don't need to permanently attach it to meet the requirements for OAL.

OH......The first four words in your OP are: "Call me a dork".....So

DORK

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast