Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

H.B. 5834 wolf hunt hearing

Concerned Citizens,

At 8 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 17, the first step towards returning management of Michigan’s wolf population to state wildlife officials will be taken. It’s crucial that we, as hunters and conservationists, stand together and show strong support for the designation of wolves as a game animal.

The Senate Natural Resources committee will hold a hearing on the establishment of a hunting and/or trapping season for wolves. This is a move that Michigan United Conservation Clubs strongly supports and is necessary to ensure that sound, science-based wildlife management practices are in place in Michigan.

Rep. Matt Huuki, a Republican from the Houghton area, introduced House Bill 5834 which would designate wolves as a game animal, opening the door for sensible, science-based wildlife management of Michigan’s wolf population. Wednesday's Senate hearing is expected to produce a companion bill on the Senate side.

YOUR HELP IS NEEDED!

Michigan United Conservation Clubs will testify at the hearing in support of the bill. We need to bring the voice of as many hunters and conservationists to the hearing as possible. Anti-hunting groups have already vowed to sue the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to prevent any state management from occurring. The time to act is now and your voice is needed.

Show your support for state management of Michigan's wolf population by "signing" our digital petition. CLICK HERE TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT.

Michigan United Conservation Clubs is the nation's largest state-specific conservation organziation with the mission of protecting and enhancing Michigan's outdoors heritage.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Done. Thanks for posting this.

MGO Member
    Signed, thanks for the heads up!

I am a Forum User
    Never would I support the hunting of wolfs.
    There is no logical reason to hunt wolfs, the population has reached levels for healthy multiple packs that can sustain themselves.
    Wolfs are magnificent creatures and hunting them for the sake of killing them is a travesty.

We where taught growing up the only reason to hunt an animal was for food, if we shot it we ate it. If we shot something Gramps would make us eat it, so we never shot anything we din't want for lunch.
    Killing a wolf for a mount is a waste of a beautiful creature.
    There are some few exceptions, such as ranchers defending herds and the like, but for the most part, the only reason I can comprehend hunting wolfs is bragging rights or a manhood enhancement.

I know I'm going to catch a good flaming for my opinion. i accept that if I can pause someone long enough to think about it.

I won't argue or defend myself, I said what I said and I'll stick to it.
    Last edited by Shoots2much; 10-23-2012 at 03:33 AM.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoots2much
    I know I'm going to catch a good flaming for my opinion. i accept that if I can pause someone long enough to think about it.

I won't argue or defend myself, I said what I said and I'll stick to it.
    In other words, you have the power to read people's minds and know exactly why they support hunting wolves and you aren't going to listen to logic or reason.

Did you actually read the article?

"House Bill 5834 which would designate wolves as a game animal, opening the door for sensible, science-based wildlife management of Michigan’s wolf population."

Note the words 'sensible' and 'science-based'. I am not sure what enhances your manhood, but I don't see the hunting of wolves doing this.

I am a Forum User
    Wolf Digest: S.B. 1350, HSUS Lawsuits

Wolves, a top priority this fall in Michigan, have made headlines yet again. The Humane Society gave notice of its intentions to file a lawsuit against the USFWS in an attempt to halt the process of adding wolves as a game species. While opposition is ramping up, progress is still being made as Senate Bill 1350 was introduced in the Michigan Senate this month, sponsored by Senator Tom Casperson (R-Escanaba).

Read more about the HSUS LAWSUIT and S.B. 1350

I am a Forum User
    My opinion is that we need to get this done so that we will have the devices in place for when the wolves numbers get too big. Look what they have done out west. There are vast areas where the elk and deer numbers are way down, or just plain gone.
    Wolves are killing machines, at some point they will need to be managed. This is not speculation, it's a fact. Set our emotions aside and understand that we need to be responsible adults.

It is not about killing just to kill.....
    Last edited by Downtown; 11-11-2012 at 10:48 AM.

MGO Member
    Shoots--I think if you really believe that then they should be reestablished in ALL of MI for ALL to enjoy and feed.

We could start with sending the WOLVES to the HILLS--

Irish Hills, Farmington Hills, Rochester Hills and all the other hills that other posters can add to the list.

I am a Forum User
    I am sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but it is how I feel. Why would we want to hunt an animal that has been off the endangered list in Michigan for less than a year. What if in the process of a sensible and scientific hunt, someone kills an alpha and does irreparable damage to a pack. The number of wolves in Michigan is only 700, to me 700 of anything is not enough for a gaming population. I am not opposed to any kind of hunting, my preference is to hunt for food, but I do realize that others hunt for trophies and it is not my place to condemn anyone. My fear is that this species will be seriously mismanaged by the DNR as many others have been. My question is, do we really need to hunt wolves to manage their population, or can we just let nature do her work and quit interfering. Human beings are the most pompous, self centered animals on the planet, we think we need to "manage" everything that may get in our way, the sad thing is we have just about "managed" ourselves out of a planet altogether.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast