Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wilson Combat 1911 Mags...

Wilson has a slew of 1911 mags of all flavors. What are deemed the best all around? Are 8rnd any less reliable than 7's???

I'm lost on what kind of mags to get and what price to pay....

I am a Forum User
    I've never found wilson mags to shoot better or be more reliable in my 1911s than any other mag. I prefer 7 round checkmate magazines with hybrid feed lips. Since I've migrated to those I have yet to experience issues. I cannot say the same for any 8 round mag I've tried. YMMV, so take it for what it's worth. I'm not sure why this is a very controversial topic but you'll get many different opinions on it. IMO save your money, there is no reason to spend it on Wilson mags.

I am a Forum User
    I've had about every flavor of Wilson magazines on the market, 7 and 8 rounders.

Really depends what you are using them for. I like the Wilson 47D's with the low profile base plates for concealed carry and the Wilson Combat ETM magazines for the range.

That said, if I was to choose one type of Wilson magazines it would be the newer Wilson Combat ETM 8 round magazines.

They are just ever so slightly longer then the standard Wilson 8 round mags and they have an extra coil or so to the spring which results in them being a little more reliable. Not that the standard Wilsons are not.

That said, 7 Vs. 8, Wilson has the design of there 8 round magazines down good. I can't see a reason to buy the 7 round magazines. They only make 7's because of some shooting classes and some old timers believe 7's are the way to go due to the design blah blah, whatever.

I would expect to pay around $25 dollars for pretty much any used Wilson magazine, be it 47D's or ETM's and aroun $35~40 new depending where you shop. My local gun store wants $50.00 per and they are smoking crack!

Here are some pictures of some of my 1911's comparing how they look and stick out of the 1911's. These are ALL 8 round magazines.

On a side note, Wilson now offers ETM magazines with a low profile base plate too. I've not picked any of those up yet.

Wilson Combat 47D with the STANDARD Wilson base plate

Wilson 47D w/ Lo-Profile Base Plate's

Wilson ETM Magazine

I am a Forum User
    I find the 8 round ETM stainless mags to be the best.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Eli...oductinfo/500/

are the low profile 8rnd mags a tighter fit that the normal ones? Or are they literally just smaller profile since they are steel base plates(requiring less material to remain durable)?

Quote Originally Posted by sonicmatter
    I've never found wilson mags to shoot better or be more reliable in my 1911s than any other mag. I prefer 7 round checkmate magazines with hybrid feed lips. Since I've migrated to those I have yet to experience issues. I cannot say the same for any 8 round mag I've tried. YMMV, so take it for what it's worth. I'm not sure why this is a very controversial topic but you'll get many different opinions on it. IMO save your money, there is no reason to spend it on Wilson mags.
    +1

If your 1911 "NEEDS" Wilson mags to run, you got a problem! The feed lip design releases the the round sooner, to aid in feeding, prevent nose dives. But if you like spending money, by all means get them...
    Never had a SA 7rd mag fail me yet! But have had a 8rd Colt mag give me issues... Stick with the 7 rounders

On a side note:
    I do like the feel of Wilson mags when you load them....
    Silky smooth!!!

dupe

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats
    are the low profile 8rnd mags a tighter fit that the normal ones? Or are they literally just smaller profile since they are steel base plates(requiring less material to remain durable)?
    The low profile bumpers are thinner as you can see in my pictures. This is due to the fact they are metal, you are correct.

The plastic ones are thicker so they can absorb impact.

I probably should have mentioned that the only reason I personally have 47D's now it that they were out first. If had just bought my first 1911 and had the knowledge I have NOW about magazines, I would buy Wilson ETM's but all Wilson mags are good.

About the comment made saying if your magazine needs Wilson mags to run right, you have issues! Kimber better redesign their 1911's then! I've got a few and they all suck with factory Kimber magazines in my opinion. Kimber knows it, that's why they have there Tac Mags.

I can clearly see I get 2 or 3 failures out of say 500 rounds with factory Kimber magazines and NONE with Wilsons. Some people might say oh, 2 or 3 failures in 500 rounds is no big deal, that's hardly anything. Well it is when your fighting for your life!

I've had 4 HK pistols, thousands of rounds threw them over the years and I've never had a single failure on ANY HK. Seriously, no joke. Not a single failure to feed, failure to extract, nothing. I expect that from my 1911's too and the only thing that got me even close to that level of reliability with 1911's was Wilson mags.

That said, other companies make magazines as good as Wilsons too. Tripp, Chip McCormick etc.

I am a
    I found the ETM's to work well with my Arthritis. look at the base, it has a triangular base. The wider bottom, gives an easier grip for my fingers. I didn't find the 1/4", protrusion from the bottom of the pistol to be any more "SNAGGY", than a flush bottom mag either. I haven't tried any of the 47D's, so I do not have an opinion on them. I was impressed with the heavier metal they are made with. Good Luck. HAWKEYE-1911A1, PS3.

I am a Forum User
    Checkmate 7s (not there 8rd mags)
    Wilson combats all
    CMC all
    Tripp cobra IMO the best option. No lips on the bottom better followers, I trust my life to them.
    Cheapo 8 buck mags with tripp cobra 7 rd cores. For $16 can't be beat
    all I would suggest some of my guns don't like wilsons, some don't like CMCs, all love tripps

Especially 10rders the tripps are the cheapest.
    Last edited by yocan; 11-18-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast