Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Account Closed Forum User
    FedEx Express will pick it up from your home or place of business, for a nominal service charge of course

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomE
    FedEx Express will pick it up from your home or place of business, for a nominal service charge of course
    Either this or, even better, have a local gun store/FFL do the transfer and shipping for you. Cost is probably very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoDown3727
    Either this or, even better, have a local gun store/FFL do the transfer and shipping for you. Cost is probably very similar.
    Cheaper at a gun store, my LGS charges $20 to ship a pistol via UPS
    Last edited by TomE; 01-26-2013 at 11:21 AM.

I believe you have to use a "UPS hub" not a mail center to send firearms out. I`ve always done it that way and never had any trouble. Also if he contacts the gun manufacture he should get shipping instructions and usually a carton to ship it in. That too has been my very limited experiance in the past with a couple manufactures.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Correct as usual, but UPS will pick up from a gun shop. I had to drop off my Ruger at a UPS Customer Service Center, 46 miles away in Big Rapids.

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
    I believe you have to use a "UPS hub" not a mail center to send firearms out. I`ve always done it that way and never had any trouble. Also if he contacts the gun manufacture he should get shipping instructions and usually a carton to ship it in. That too has been my very limited experiance in the past with a couple manufactures.
    This is correct. However, just an FYI, the UPS Hubs are allowed to take ammunition for shipment.

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by StuDawggie
    USPS clearly has signage that they won't ship firearms. no matter what you do .
    An FFL can ship handguns via USPS, no problem. An individual can ship a rifle, or shotgun (within Michigan), no problem. That is their policy.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-1911
    An FFL can ship handguns via USPS, no problem. An individual can ship a rifle, or shotgun (within Michigan), no problem. That is their policy.
    A private individual can ship outside the state provided you ship to an FFL and have a copy of the FFL you are shipping too. I've shipped a couple of long guns USPS. In most cases the locals don't know the rules. But certainly ask to see the postmaster if they refuse. And I would threaten legal action if they continue to refuse. We pay their salary, they are not like any other private business, they can't chose who they serve out side of the legal restrictions they have.

On Pistols, it's such a pain in the butt unless you have call tags I suggest you have an LGS do it. There are only two carriers that will ship for a non FFL are Fed EX and UPS, and then only second day. But a commercial FFL can ship normal ground. So it probably won't cost any more to have your LGS ship for you.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DTrain
    A friend of mine is trying to mail his .22lr rifle back to Keltec to get worked on and the USPS office in downtown Grand Rapids is refusing to mail it. He has tried several times even showing them all the pertinent laws etc that state that you can. They just keep saying my supervisor says no, my supervisor says no... etc. etc...

What can he do to force these dolts into complying with law and mailing his rifle back?
    Here is what the BATFE says (from their FAQ):

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Since this post office has given him so much trouble, have him go to another post office. He does NOT need to inform them he is shipping a rifle. Just bring it up to the counter and pay the shipping charge. Better yet, pay online and get a discount and slap on the label. Then drop it off at the counter.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

I am a Forum User

Ive always used Fedex

The manufactors have sent me the Fedex form with their account info already entered. I have had picked up from my home and have also took to my local Fedex office and had shipped with no problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12