Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

SB 0112 Allow Concealed Carry in School

SB 0112 of 2013
    Weapons; concealed; certain individuals to carry concealed pistols on school property in certain circumstances; allow. Amends sec. 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425o).
    Last Action: 1/30/2013 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

I am a Forum User
    Ugghhh..

I am a Forum User
    With the majority of school administrations being liberals this law will have absolutely no takers. I've already watched one superintendant get up and leave a meeting where the subject of guns in schools was mentioned, not even discussed, just mentioned.
    I for one do not endorse this legislation and will tell Senator Green such.

I am a Forum User
    SB 0112 of 2013
    Weapons; concealed; certain individuals to carry concealed pistols on school property in certain circumstances; allow. Amends sec. 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425o).
    Last Action: 1/30/2013 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

I am a Forum User
    How about adding at statement to the bill along the lines that if one person is permitted to carry on that property then all properly licensed individual may carry on that property.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 45/70fan
    With the majority of school administrations being liberals this law will have absolutely no takers. I've already watched one superintendent get up and leave a meeting where the subject of guns in schools was mentioned, not even discussed, just mentioned.
    I for one do not endorse this legislation and will tell Senator Green such.

Thank you very much. Looks like we get to hang separately.

I am a Forum User
    As I see this, it really is only going to allow some school districts to allow security, staff and teachers to carry. It seems to allow the CEO or Board of the school allow either emplyees only or anyone to carry if they have a CPL. Maybe I'm reading it worng, but I think the way it words "may authorize carrying ... by individuals or employees" implies "individuals" as anyone and 'emplyees" as any employee. Otherwise why would the next part say they cant discriminate against an emplyee who carried under this act? That wording would not be needed if they could say "Mary can carry but Steve can't"

While I don't think there will be a single school district that will allow parents or the public to carry, I think there may be some that will allow teachers & staff. I'm torn on this.

I don't think that it would undermine preemption as worded. Am I wrong?

I don't think it will benifit run of the mill CPL holders, but I don't see it hurting us if it doesnt put a crack in preemtion. It requires no added training and does not eliminate OC with a CPL.

I generally oppose "special classes" of CPL holders, but allowing teachers to carry where they work is (IMHO) a lot like allowing bar employees to carry in the bar they work in with the managments permission.

I guess I'd tenetivly support this, pending some input as to how it may affect preemption.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I would like to have a letter to the governor prepared for Delegates to sign at the Michigan Republican State Convention next week. Specifically 0112, and house bill 4098. Looking for input on anything else I should include? Or is there a petition already circulating that I don't know of? I just checked there will be over 1500 state Republican delegates at the convention, hopefully many will sign.
    Last edited by 3006safari; 02-17-2013 at 05:05 PM.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    If I was to write a quick summary of this bill does this sound right.

allow ccw/carriers to conceal carry in k-12 schools if district allows.
    possible mandatory additional training for "special" ccw permit

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006safari
    If I was to write a quick summary of this bill does this sound right.

allow ccw/carriers to conceal carry in k-12 schools if district allows.
    possible mandatory additional training for "special" ccw permit
    I think it allows the school administrator(s) to decide if they want their school to be a gun free zone or not. If not, then teachers will be allowed to take training for their CPL and conceal carry in school.

If that's how it reads, I'm Ok with that. We're supposed to be a Nation where we have Freedom of Choice, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast