Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    That seems to be me.
    I see the word "such" as referring to the word "knife", not "double edged".
    And if I can't understand it I'm sure at least some police officers will "misunderstand" to allow them to make your life miserable if they so choose.
    I freely admit that it is poorly written, and WILL be misinterpreted.

From the two phrases: "Knife" is the match to "object", they are the "subjects".
    "double edged", "nonfolding", and "any length" are the descriptions of the type, "such" would have to closely follow the previous descriptions.

There is a "knife" from the 16th century, it is properly a "stiletto", even though that word has been stretched to fit "other" knives. It is also known as "main gauche" or "left hand". It has no cutting edge, it is (was) used as a shield and strictly as a stabbing weapon. I think that is the type of thing they are trying to include. It, the "main gauche" is not an exact fit, but is covered by more than one "descriptor", basically a "stabbing" instrument.

Again, this poorly written, and I don't support it. I really, really want the "hobby" exemption, but not at the price of the other language.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Tourism, Rep. Peter Pettalia, Chair

DATE: Thursday, March 07, 2013

TIME: 9:00 AM

PLACE: Room 327, House Office Building, Lansing, MI

AGENDA:
    HB 4262 (Rep. Foster) Crimes; weapons; prohibitions against carrying certain weapons; revise.

HB 4299 (Rep. Bumstead) Natural resources; other; counties eligible to authorize off-road vehicles on road shoulders; extend to entire state and eliminate sunset. (Testimony Only)

Presentations:
    Michigan Department of Natural Resources on Dredging
    Michigan Boating Industries Association
    Michigan Steelhead and Salmon Fishermen"s Association

I am a Forum User
    What a piece of waste.

I am a Forum User
    I've been carrying a Swiss Army knife for over 30 years. I can't imagine being without it.

The probem with this bill is that even though it'd be up to the prosecutor/judge to determine if I carried it with intent, I'd still have to hire a lawyer to defend myself. That's a helluvalot of risk to carry a small tool that I use almost daily.

I'm not even sure why this bill has been introduced. It at least needs to retain the 3" or less language.

I am a Forum User
    Why do our legislators think we NEED this new law?

I think they are afraid if they don't pass new laws, we'll think we don't need them.

They should spend their time looking at the laws we have & repealing most of them.

KILL THIS BILL.

It's gotten too far already.
    The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    HB 4262 of 2013
    Crimes; weapons; prohibitions against carrying certain weapons; revise. Amends secs. 226, 227 & 231 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.226 et seq.).
    Last Action: 3/6/2013 referred to second reading

The only knife laws I would support are State pre-emption, and carrying whichever blade is best suited to your task, if you can carry a gun why in the world of reasonable logic are knife laws so damned complicated? It's still illegal to cause someone harm not in defense of yourself.

Has anyone contacted their Reps about this? Or are we just going to sit back & let this happen?

Because it keeps moving forward.
    The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    HB 4262 of 2013
    Crimes; weapons; prohibitions against carrying certain weapons; revise. Amends secs. 226, 227 & 231 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.226 et seq.).
    Last Action: 3/13/2013 placed on third reading

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast