Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by G22
    Has anyone contacted their Reps about this? Or are we just going to sit back & let this happen?

Because it keeps moving forward.
    Spoke with mine, but he is the sponsor of the bill. They tried to assure me that at the end of the day, this will give more freedom for the "good guys" and higher penalties for "the bad guys". I pointed out that it might be misinterpreted in a way that would make the knife laws more strict. The reply was that this law is being misinterpreted anyway so it won't be any worse than it is now.

They would not share with me the organizations or individuals opposed to knives or the freedom to own one. No clue was given as to who was scared that knife collectors might obtain an antique switch blade or that reenactors might go on a sabre or sword rampage. I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is our governor. He won't sign it unless it is more strict than it is now. It seems Rick Snyder and the RINOs in Lansing are hell-bent on closing that pesky "bayonet loophole".

The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    I carry a Benchmade tanto folder in my right pocket, Browning in the left, a small Swiss Army knife in my left thigh pocket and a small multi-tool in the right. I use one or the other every day. I've never had any issues from LEO's in my area about them but if I go out of county I get worried.

I am a Forum User
    For some unknown reason, politicians and cops are far more afraid of a knife than of a gun.

As for the heller and McDonald cases, while the objects under question were pistols, it has been readily interperted to apply to all guns by most who think on the subject. It would likely require another rullign to expand its enforcement regarding other types of guns (such as AR-15s) but that is because we have a lot of judges and prosecutors who want to interpert rights as narrowly as possible. Since the term in the 2nd amendment and in the Michigan constitution is "arms", and the actual term used in Heller and McDonald is "arms", it should be just as easily abe to be expanded to knives as AR-15s.

I am a Forum User
    HB 4262 of 2013
    Crimes; weapons; prohibitions against carrying certain weapons; revise. Amends secs. 226, 227 & 231 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.226 et seq.).
    Last Action: 4/9/2013 transmitted

I am a Forum User
    HB 4262 of 2013
    Crimes; weapons; prohibitions against carrying certain weapons; revise. Amends secs. 226, 227 & 231 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.226 et seq.).
    Last Action: 4/10/2013 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

This bill needs killed and fast.
    “The path of the warrior is difficult!
    We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves!
    Honor in serving!
    Honor in defending!
    Honor in dying for a just cause!”

The bill as it is written seems like a wasted opportunity to me.
    It does not cover pre-emption.
    It does not even grant people with CPL an exception to carry a knife.
    IMO it does not do much to help with law abiding daily carry of a knife, and seems to me the burden of proof is on the carrier to prove the purpose of carry.

I am a Forum User
    COMMITTEE: Judiciary

DATE: Tuesday, May 28, 2013

TIME: 3:30 PM

PLACE: Room 110, Farnum Building, 125 W. Allegan Street, Lansing, MI 48933

PHONE: Lauren Michalak (373-5323), Committee Clerk

AGENDA

SB 300 Sen. Caswell Criminal procedure; defenses; statewide standards and accountability measures of trial-level indigent criminal defense services; implement, and create the Michigan indigent defense commission act.

SB 301 Sen. Caswell Criminal procedure; other; appointment of counsel to indigent person charged with felony; modify.

HB 4262 Rep. Foster Crimes; weapons; prohibitions against carrying certain weapons; revise.

I am a Forum User
    HB 4262 of 2013
    Last Action: 5/28/2013 Analysis File Added

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast