Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar

How many magazines for a 9mm carbine?

OK, I have this REALLY sweet shooting J&R Engineering M68 that I was considering using as a trunk gun (it's registered as a pistol). I like everything about it but the magazines are very rare and expensive as hell when you can find them at all. I have one magazine right now that I paid $100 for (yes, don't bother to say it).

I found a source where I can buy up to another 10 magazines for $60 each, which believe it or not is a STEAL.

Extended BHP or Beretta 92 magazine will supposedly work by welding a tab on the rear of the magazine for a bottom-magazine latch. Also, the BHP or Beretta 92 magazines are a pretty tight fit--should I use a belt sander to remove some of the metal from the outside of the magazines if I go that route?

Of course, I could probably sell this thing for a helluva lot more than I have into it but what would be the fun of that?
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster
    I have one magazine right now that I paid $100 for (yes, don't bother to say it).
    Say what?

For a truly rare gun I've seen much worse.

edit: Just Googled your gun, sure looks a WHOLE lot like a Wilkinson Arms "Linda" (handgun) or "Terry" (carbine), maybe those mags will fit?? May not be any cheaper though.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelKurtz
    Say what?

For a truly rare gun I've seen much worse.

edit: Just Googled your gun, sure looks a WHOLE lot like a Wilkinson Arms "Linda" (handgun) or "Terry" (carbine), maybe those mags will fit?? May not be any cheaper though.
    The Wilkinson Terry carbine is a direct descendant of my J&R. Those magazines are rare but mine are even scarcer as the Terry magazines used an American style mag release button rather than the bottom catch. I can use the Terry mags but would have to modify those too.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User

:hurl:

If it's rare/valuable, I'd sell it and get something a little less rare (and a lot less :hurl as a trunk gun. Otherwise, putting it in a trunk is probably not a bad idea...

For the price of 5 magazines you could buy a Kel Tec Sub 2000 which takes Glock mags that are roughly $20 each and are nearly bulletproof.

I am a Forum User
    I wouldnt use something that valuable for a trunk gun. Get a cheap AK or something else and not worry about ruining a rare/expensive piece. Plus what if it gets stolen?

That firearm reminds me of the mac-11 a lot.

I am a Forum User
    If you can confirm that the only mod needed for the Beretta mags is to weld a tab on it, that's the way I would go. Welding a tab on one shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis
    For the price of 5 magazines you could buy a Kel Tec Sub 2000 which takes Glock mags that are roughly $20 each and are nearly bulletproof.
    Plus you can get the 32rd mags to.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster
    I have one magazine right now that I paid $100 for...
    If it makes you feel any better, I've paid more for a mag. I think I gave $160 for a Reising mag during the ban. Once it went away, prices dropped to a reasonable $80 .

Remember what Glock .45 and 10mm mags were going for during the ban?

I always thought an Ingram Model 6 would be fun to have. But mags for those are around $200 ea.

And +1 on getting something more common / less rare / less expensive for a trunk gun.

I am a Forum User
    Here's an issue you probably haven't thought of:

If it's a trunk gun, it's safe to say it's intended for it to be used at some point to save your life...or someone else's. In that regard, it should be in as good of condition as possible. Failures when lives are on the line are unacceptable, especially when they can be avoided by performing regular PM's.

With those $100 (or even $60) mags, are you willing to toss them when they've reached the point that they are no longer able to perform 100%? A lot of people have enough trouble tossing $20 or even $10 mags when they start causing malfs...and with the value of the gun, are you willing to put in the trigger time to make sure you know how to operate the firearm easily and perform reloads, clear malfs, etc.?

Plus, like Tom said the money you're about to spend on mags alone will get you a decent PCC and probably a bunch of mags to go with it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast