Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: UZI Semi-auto

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a Forum User

UZI Semi-auto

I have a couple of questions about an UZI Semi-auto Model A 9mmPARA IMI-ISRAEL.

1. Is this legal to own in MI? After a decent amount of research I believe the answer is yes. Enlighten me! Is a Federal Tax Stamp required? What else?

2. How does one go about transferring ownership from an IL owner to a MI owner? FFL?

TIA

I am a Forum User
    Yes it is legal, no you do not need a tax stamp.
    would need one if it were had a shorter barrel and they were legal here so no SBR's. 16" only

With our new law I believe(99%) that is considered a Rifle now not a handgun so transfer is easy.
    Find an FFL that accepts transfers and have it shipped from IL to MI
    that is if its from someone else to you.
    If you dont mind the drive to waterford I would be more than happy to help but if you wanna stay local you are in luck there are a bunch of great shops by you!

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabears!
    Yes it is legal, no you do not need a tax stamp.
    would need one if it were had a shorter barrel and they were legal here so no SBR's. 16" only

With our new law I believe(99%) that is considered a Rifle now not a handgun so transfer is easy.
    Find an FFL that accepts transfers and have it shipped from IL to MI
    that is if its from someone else to you.
    If you dont mind the drive to waterford I would be more than happy to help but if you wanna stay local you are in luck there are a bunch of great shops by you!
    Doesn't it also depend on the OAL. With the stock folded and a OAL of >26" it would require a 16" barrel so it wouldn't be a SBR but if the OAL with the stock folded is < 26" the barrel length wouldn't make any difference and it would be considered a pistol. Is that correct?

I am a Forum User
    If the Uzi doesn't have a stock either the wood or the folding, it can have the short barrel and be registered as a pistol as well.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vlmuke
    If the Uzi doesn't have a stock either the wood or the folding, it can have the short barrel and be registered as a pistol as well.
    But only if it never had a stock on it. So yeah, buy a virgin receiver put a short barrel on it and register it as a pistol. Take a stock off of one, put a short barrel on it and you have an SBR which is illegal in MI and requires a federal tax stamp everywhere else.

And....even it you registered it as a so-called "Michigan pistol" under the old expired law you couldn't then or now put a short barrel on it.

The Uzi carbine with the stock folded is 24.4" long with 16" bbl and according to Michigan law under 26" is an SBR. Under the old "Michigan Pistol" law many police departments simply registered them as a "Michigan pistol" but technically they were banned. Under the new law with the folding stock under 30" thing going away most people assume Uzis are now just rifles like before. The problem is Michigan did not change their SBR definition to the Federal standard, therefore Michigan's definition of a SBR still fits the Uzi with a folding stock.

Of course Michigan's law is not understood by law enforcement or most anyone else so until someone uses an Uzi in a horrific crime it probably won't be enforced.

If you can find an FFL who will transfer it I wouldn't ask or say another word about it. If you were worried about it later you could simply put something on one end or the other to meet the OAL. A flash hider on the barrel or even a butt pad on the stock would likely get it over the OAL. Or simply throw a wood/fixed stock on it.
    Last edited by Garymac; 06-06-2013 at 07:12 PM.

MGO Member
    Just put a fixed wood stock on it to get over the 26" OAL. The wood stocks are more comfortable to shoot with anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Garymac
    But only if it never had a stock on it. So yeah, buy a virgin receiver put a short barrel on it and register it as a pistol. Take a stock off of one, put a short barrel on it and you have an SBR which is illegal in MI and requires a federal tax stamp everywhere else.

And....even it you registered it as a so-called "Michigan pistol" under the old expired law you couldn't then or now put a short barrel on it.

The Uzi carbine with the stock folded is 24.4" long with 16" bbl and according to Michigan law under 26" is an SBR. Under the old "Michigan Pistol" law many police departments simply registered them as a "Michigan pistol" but technically they were banned. Under the new law with the folding stock under 30" thing going away most people assume Uzis are now just rifles like before. The problem is Michigan did not change their SBR definition to the Federal standard, therefore Michigan's definition of a SBR still fits the Uzi with a folding stock.

Of course Michigan's law is not understood by law enforcement or most anyone else so until someone uses an Uzi in a horrific crime it probably won't be enforced.

If you can find an FFL who will transfer it I wouldn't ask or say another word about it. If you were worried about it later you could simply put something on one end or the other to meet the OAL. A flash hider on the barrel or even a butt pad on the stock would likely get it over the OAL. Or simply throw a wood/fixed stock on it.
    I'm pretty damn sure that you are wrong. MI did away with "MI pistols"...now we measure with the stock UNFOLDED just as the feds do. Before MI measured with the stock folded.

So a 24" gun folded with a 16" barrel ought to be just a rifle since when the stock is extended it'd be over the 26" minimum.

This belongs in legal begal...or maybe one of our lawyer members will chime in....I could always be wrong.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac

That's what I did I registered it as a pistol as when I first moved up here I thought I read about the carbines being illegal for reason.

I am a Forum User
    This is very similar to what model and size I'm asking about. I'm trying to recall and have put a call out to find out the length og the barrel. IIRC it is the length seen in the photo.

It does have the folding stock as seen in the photo as well.

I am a Forum User
    yes it would be a rifle but it would have to be over the over all lengths the others mentioned find is oal while folded I believe its 26"+