Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UZI Semi-auto

There are 18" barrels out there made for the Uzi for just this reason.

d and d sales used to sell them.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac
    There was a similar thread discussing this issue in the Legal forum back in April. Regardless of the AG's opinion and the change in the "michigan pistol" law, Michigan still defines a SBR as a firearm under 26" with the stock folded.

here is the other thread...

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=240462
    Thread has an update...slightly more clarification but nothing definitive yet. Awaiting Senators and Reps to really settle the matter.

Don't poke the bear...

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01
    Don't poke the bear...
    Poke the bear?

Yes, buying a 24" long rifle is poking the bear. There are plenty of ways and reasons to go to jail, lose the job, spend everything you have on lawyers, lose the house etc, but it is not worth a few inches in the length of a gun.

Not to mention the permanent loss of second amendment rights and every future LEO interaction will take on a different shade too.

I am a Forum User
    I said in surmise it's not legal. surmise means without evidence. So of course yes, it is not a good idea to buy a rifle that is 24" with the stock collapsed/folded but more than 26" with the stock extended/unfolded. However, since there was no evidence since the AG can't reply to a civilian directly I was directed to pose the question to the senators and republicans and so I did..I asked for clarification. Personally I don't own anything of the sort but I am awaiting clarification on the matters and will share that once I receive it.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1989
    I said in surmise it's not legal. surmise means without evidence. So of course yes, it is not a good idea to buy a rifle that is 24" with the stock collapsed/folded but more than 26" with the stock extended/unfolded. However, since there was no evidence since the AG can't reply to a civilian directly I was directed to pose the question to the senators and republicans and so I did..I asked for clarification. Personally I don't own anything of the sort but I am awaiting clarification on the matters and will share that once I receive it.
    I appreciate you following up on this. I know a bunch of people with Uzi carbines, some have folders and were registered as pistols and some weren't. Some have fixed stocks, some have longer barrels to get around the OAL. I would assume those with green cards (safety inspection certs) are probably in better shape ("hey, the state said it was and registered it as a pistol") than those with unregistered folding stock carbines.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac
    But only if it never had a stock on it. So yeah, buy a virgin receiver put a short barrel on it and register it as a pistol. Take a stock off of one, put a short barrel on it and you have an SBR which is illegal in MI and requires a federal tax stamp everywhere else.

And....even it you registered it as a so-called "Michigan pistol" under the old expired law you couldn't then or now put a short barrel on it.

The Uzi carbine with the stock folded is 24.4" long with 16" bbl and according to Michigan law under 26" is an SBR. Under the old "Michigan Pistol" law many police departments simply registered them as a "Michigan pistol" but technically they were banned. Under the new law with the folding stock under 30" thing going away most people assume Uzis are now just rifles like before. The problem is Michigan did not change their SBR definition to the Federal standard, therefore Michigan's definition of a SBR still fits the Uzi with a folding stock.

Of course Michigan's law is not understood by law enforcement or most anyone else so until someone uses an Uzi in a horrific crime it probably won't be enforced.

If you can find an FFL who will transfer it I wouldn't ask or say another word about it. If you were worried about it later you could simply put something on one end or the other to meet the OAL. A flash hider on the barrel or even a butt pad on the stock would likely get it over the OAL. Or simply throw a wood/fixed stock on it.
    That's what I did I registered it as a pistol as when I first moved up here I thought I read about the carbines being illegal for reason.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123