Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a Forum User

DMU 487 and UP...Antlerless Deer and APRs

In reading through the hunting guide, they have introduced antler point restrictions for the UP and DMU 487, which is a group of counties in the NE lower.

An Antlerless deer is decribed as any deer with spikes 3" or less in length.

The APR rules for DMU 487 state that you can:

• Take one buck from either area with 3 points on one side, and each point being at least 1" long using a standard firearm license (Option 1, the "One Buck Option) or,
    • two bucks from either area with 4 points on one side and each point being at least 1" long with a combination license (Option 2, the "Two Buck Option") and,
    • you can use a standard firearm or combination license to take an antlerless deer, no antlerless permit is required.

Confused yet?

As I read it, with a standard firearm license (Option 1):
    • I could take any deer with antlers less than 3" in length to qualify as antlerless
    • Then there's a 'dead zone' from 3" up to a 6 point (min 3 points on one side, minimum 1" tines)
    • Then I could take anything from 6 points or larger with one side broken off.

Does that sound right? Can anyone clarify this for me? The area of concern is the antlerless part. Which rules take precedence?

This was done many years ago. Think of it in terms of bucks first.

For antlered deer it is called "hunter's choice".

Choice 1 - You are allowed one buck of any size (one antler 3 inches or longer) under either the archery or firearm tag. You can buy both and hunt in all seasons but you are limited to one buck of any size.

Choice 2 - You can purchase the combo tag and you may take two bucks with antler restrictions on both (3 points per side and 4 points per side).

So it's one buck of any size or two bucks with restrictions, that's the choice.

Concerning antlerless deer, the ability to take antlerless deer on combo and firearm tags in firearm season (and as always in archery season) is unique to area 487 and was introduced several years ago to try and reduce the population in that area. That is a separate rule from the antlered deer rules and does not apply to the UP.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegill
    Choice 1 - You are allowed one buck of any size (one antler 3 inches or longer) under either the archery or firearm tag. You can buy both and hunt in all seasons but you are limited to one buck of any size.
    No, not in DMU 487. It MUST have at least 3 points on one side, and each point must be at least 1" in length.

Choice 2 - You can purchase the combo tag and you may take two bucks with antler restrictions on both (3 points per side and 4 points per side)
    Yup, I got that part

Concerning antlerless deer, the ability to take antlerless deer on combo and firearm tags in firearm season (and as always in archery season) is unique to area 487 and was introduced several years ago to try and reduce the population in that area. That is a separate rule from the antlered deer rules and does not apply to the UP.
    Yeah, I get all of that. What I am trying to figure out is how the antlerless and APR rules work together. Again, your assessment of one buck of any size in 487 is incorrect, 3 points one side is the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Walther
    No, not in DMU 487. It MUST have at least 3 points on one side, and each point must be at least 1" in length.
    You are wrong. You may purchase an archery or firearm tag and take one buck of any size in 487 and the UP.

Just for reference, here is the law from the Wildlife Conservation Order. Notice choice number 1 for both the UP and 487. It says "antlered deer" which is defined as a deer with one antler 3 inches or longer. No where in choice one does it say there are any other restrictions. This isn't news. It has been this way for years.

3.101a Deer hunting in zone 1 season limit and antler restriction.
    Sec. 3.101a (1) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this order a person purchasing a firearm deer license and a bow and arrow deer license shall not take more than one antlered deer in zone 1.
    (2) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this order, except section 3.101e, a person possessing a regular combination deer license shall not take an antlered deer unless the deer has at least 1 antler with 3 or more antler points each 1 or more inches in length in zone 1.
    (3) A person possessing a restricted combination deer license shall not take an antlered deer unless the deer has at least 1 antler with 4 or more antler points each 1 or more inches in length.
    History: Am. 10, 2008, ***. Jun 6, 2008; Am. 7, 2010, ***. May 6, 2010.
    3.101b Deer hunting in deer management unit 487, antler restriction.
    Sec. 3.101b (1) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this order a person purchasing a firearm deer license or a bow and arrow deer license shall not take more than one antlered deer in dmu 487.
    (2) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this order, except section 3.101e, a person possessing a regular combination deer license shall not take an antlered deer unless the deer has at least 1 antler with 3 or more antler points each 1 or more inches in length in dmu 487.
    (3) A person possessing a restricted combination deer license shall not take an antlered deer unless the deer has at least 1antler with 4 or more antler points each 1 or more inches in length in dmu 487.
    History: Am. 10, 2010, ***. July 8, 2010.
    Last edited by bluegill; 08-20-2013 at 09:13 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Okay. I've asked the DNR, we'll see if they respond.

I'm really hoping that I am wrong!

I am a Forum User
    Ok, but go read the 2013 hunting digest. The description of hunting in DMU 487 is different. It describes the one buck/two buck limit and refers you to the antler point regulations, a table on page 32.

1 Antler at least 3" long: Lower penincula EXCEPT DMU's 5, 10, 15, 24, etc etc ....487

3 Points legal on on side: UP and DMU's etc.. etc... 487

I gave you the actual law for 487. There are two entries in the law, section 3.101a is for the UP and 3.101b is for 487. Read it above. I just hope the person you talk to doesn't confuse your question with the new antler point restrictions on the west side of the state. Those are 3/4 regardless of tags or season.
    Last edited by bluegill; 08-20-2013 at 09:09 AM.