Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

10/22 Takedown with AGP Folding Stock

For those interested in a folding stock for their 10/22 Takedown, I just got my AGP stock and installed it. I have the 10/22 Takedown "Tactical" with the threaded barrel and came with a "flash suppressor" (yeah, I know).

Since we're in Michigan, I was worried about the folded length. It's right at 26" to the shortest point behind the receiver when folded. If you measure to the farthest point on the pistol grip (which I think is the correct way), it is more like 27". It would be too short without the flash suppressor. The flash suppressor is not permanently affixed (screws on), but as I recall a permanently affixed cage is only necessary to measure the barrel length, not the overall length in Michigan.

Overall, it's a nice stock. There is some gap between the front/back stock portions, where the barrel connects. I also got the 1" butt pad from AGP, but it's still a bit shorter than the original stock. If you have the Ruger Takedown bag the stock portion will still fit in the pocket (unfolded, with scope) with a little wiggling, but the pistol grip makes it tight. The tall UTG Bugbuster scope I have on it makes it tough, but it goes in.

Pics below:

I am a Forum User
    I'm reading that as 26 5/8" at least. The correct way to measure it (in MI) is with the stock folded, stand it in the corner , barrel up. Measure from floor to tip of barrel. That gives you OAL (MI style).

I Never thought about the "stand in a corner" method, but a good idea. I was worried when I ordered the stock, so glad it was long enough. AGP has the only off-the-shelf folding stock for the Takedown I could find so far.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 Nato
    I'm reading that as 26 5/8" at least. The correct way to measure it (in MI) is with the stock folded, stand it in the corner , barrel up. Measure from floor to tip of barrel. That gives you OAL (MI style).
    can you cite this method?

I have been worrying about a long gun of mine I purchased brand new, its specs state what its OAL is supposed to be, but every which way I measure it comes up short

*underfolder ak
    polish akms

Below are a few links from a search of the forum on measuring length, etc. The first link is probably what you're looking for. It's the most recent and includes a picture on a recommended method for measuring length. You can do some additional searching and should be able to find more.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...t=rifle+length
    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...asuring+length

Here are my takeaways from the discussions, ATF, and Michigan laws:

- Barrel must be at least 16" long and anything included in the barrel length measurement (i.e. muzzle device) must be permanently attached.

- Overall length must be at least 26" long in shortest operable configuration. There is no clear consensus on if a muzzle device needs to be permanently attached to be included in the overall length measurement. Michigan law doesn't specify that it needs to be permanently attached. I think ATF does require permanent attachment for the measurement (but ATF measures overall length with stock unfolded).

- Many folks recommend standing the rifle up in a corner and measuring how tall it is. I think this is the same as measuring to its longest point parallel the barrel bore axis (see picture in first link thread).

I likely missed something, so you can probably post in the Legal section of the forum to get more/better info.
    Last edited by bjmusico; 08-28-2013 at 12:36 AM.

I am a Forum User
    looks like I'm just going to get an echo 93 slingplate... hopefully that makes the specs right..

but the manufacturer claimed the OAL was 26.. I have a copy of it somewhere..