Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

.54 CVA Hawken muzzleloader

I picked up a CVA hawken gamester muzzleloader in .54. The previous owner decided not to clean it for a year so I wanted to do a major cleaning on it. When I tried to remove the breech plug the tang on the back sheered right off. So now I'm having it drilled out. The problem I'm running into now is that I don't know what size breech plug I need. I'm also kind of shocked at the prices I'm seeing on breech plugs for Hawken style rifles. $60 for a breech plug seems crazy to me. Any help on which plug I need and a good place to buy?

Thanks guys.

I am a Forum User

ML Parts

Check out www.dixiegunworks.com. Whoever is removing the plug should be able to salvage enough of it to measure the thread pitch and diameter. If they cannot salvage the plug, the threads in the barrel can provide the same info.

I am a Forum User
    Did you remove the drum before trying to take the breech plug out???

I am a Forum User
    Hmmm, CVA breech plug.

You'll want to read up on issues with their barrels/breechplugs. It may only be with the inlines. I seem to recall that their problems had to do with poorly cut/fit threads.

Joe

I am a Forum User
    Are you just throwing good $$ after bad? Set that side-lock above the mantle & go get a new(old stock) Knight Elite from Gunbroker. There's no shortage of old rusty M-Ls out there, due to improper care. I wouldn't put a dime into one.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by red442joe
    Hmmm, CVA breech plug.

You'll want to read up on issues with their barrels/breechplugs. It may only be with the inlines. I seem to recall that their problems had to do with poorly cut/fit threads.

Joe
    I'm sure the problems were with the inline rifles.

The earlier side lock guns had a unique breech plug-drum set up.
    The drum threaded into the barrel and breech plug, and had to be removed first then the plug could be unscrewed.

I am a Forum User

cva breech

Bill Hammond in lansing may have one in stock as he sells allot of the parts for Traditional muzzleloaders,

PM me and I can get you a phone number, or I think I have a couple complete guns I would sell for a decent price, been in the gunroom for a few years

MGO Member
    Track of the Wolf is a major supplier of muzzleloading supplies and parts.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com