Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

handloads & the castle law?

Over the years I`ve heard alot of talk about the danger of useing handloads for self defense. The thoughts I get are everyone from a carjackers wife to his 1st grade teacher will sue over "atomic ammo" and the fact one planned on killing their boy with ultra deadly bullets.
    Now that some states have adopted the so called "Castle Laws" has anyone concidered if the ammo one uses is now moot as long as it was used in legitiment self defense? If one can`t be sued for defending himself from attack, if he is in his own home or place he legally belongs. Can the ammo used be a problem still?

Just curious......
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Well from my experience, lawyers will argue anything & everything. At least with Castle doctrine in place, the law backs up your rights to defend yourself.

I am a Forum User
    As long as you're lawyer is getting paid more then their lawyer, you'll probably win. Any idiot can argue that someone was using some wicked big-foot killer bullet and should be locked away for good, but if you're lawyer is good enough he/she can make them look like a fool.

The courts aren't about right and wrong these days, it's about who can hire the most convincing lawyer.

The best advice I've received lately is to carry whatever the local constabulary carries for a duty round; what could possibly be safer and more civic minded?

The problem though, is that I thought I would be cuffed and beated for asking the Desk Seargent what my local constabulary was using for a duty round. Turns out he may not exactly embrace the idea of an armed citizenry.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy
    The best advice I've received lately is to carry whatever the local constabulary carries for a duty round; what could possibly be safer and more civic minded?

The problem though, is that I thought I would be cuffed and beated for asking the Desk Seargent what my local constabulary was using for a duty round. Turns out he may not exactly embrace the idea of an armed citizenry.
    Anyone at the local gun shop or range can tell you what local LE carries.

Quote Originally Posted by johnzilla
    Anyone at the local gun shop or range can tell you what local LE carries.
    Oh sure, now you tell me! where were you when Sgt. Steroid was all red in the face and clenching his fists?

Ya, if I'd been thinkin' that day I would have hit one of the stores/ranges where I see a lot of cops. But, thinking isn't always my strong suit!!
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Account Closed
    I've never heard of a case that was decided over the type of ammo used. Besides, under Michigan's Castle Doctrine, if it's a good shooting, they can't sue you.

Quote Originally Posted by TAC
    I've never heard of a case that was decided over the type of ammo used. Besides, under Michigan's Castle Doctrine, if it's a good shooting, they can't sue you.

I`ve never heard of a specific case either but.. I seen a few postings on various sites claiming that it has happened and most handgun sites recommend avoiding reloads for self defense. The claim is the state won`t push the ammo used in court but, if you are in a civil suit it likely will come up. The line of thought is similar to the big ado a few years back over "Black Talon" ammo.

I`m thinking the same as you as far as the Castle Doctrine making it a legitimate ammo choice if one wants.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    we have had this discussion here also I was told and apparently it is now tarnished info as that person never stepped up to say "YEA that is what I have been teaching" Reloads cant be researched for forensics as well as factory loads since they keep a certain amount of those lots for that purpose.

Since that info was more of an opinion i am now disreguarding it as such an uninformed opinion.

I dont see anything wrong with reloads as long as you really trust the source. They gotta go bang when you need them to.

My biggest problem with reloads is that, even after 20 years or reloading, I still get one that doesn't go "Bang!" when it's supposed to every once in a while. I've only had a very few factory loads fail to fire in my life; I want to stack the odds as best as possible in my favor, so factory rounds win out, even if the margin of improvement is minimal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast