Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunhams AK-47's

I am a Forum User

Dunhams AK-47's

Hello. Can anyone shed light on these?

Source, price vs comparable sources?

It's intended use is to go to the range 3x6 times a year, go through 40 - 120 rounds, come home, get cleaned and then sit in hiding. That's it.

I'm NOT looking for a sniper rifle - I KNOW the AK is 'eyeball' range only. I'm fine with that.

I have my nice AR-15 ( S&W M&P15X ) to attach the never ending supply of toys to.

Just wondering how these stack up. A $350-500 piece that can get scratched or scraped in the trunk of my car, that's what I'm looking for.

Also - if anyone knows of a shop local to Redford - Livonia they can reccomend to source one I'd appreciate it.

Fred

MGO Member
    I've got one currently (WASR 10) and have had a couple I've sold in the past. I would just make sure the front sight isn't canted to hell & back and the overall look of the gun is something you can live with. I'd also try and stick with the double stack models. I've seen some with serious canted front sight and furniture that was in really bad shape. The last two I've had weren't perfect, but I could live with it. I've never had one jam or malfunction in any way. I haven't paid more than $300.00 for one (I'm not sure if Dunham's will still occasionally have them on sell for less anymore) but for what it is and how much they cost, I can't complain.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the input. Showing my 'newb' ness to the AK - Double Stack?

As in how the mag feeds? I thougth all AK's were based on the one tired design, would'nt that make various mag's not compatable?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred_Scuttle
    Thanks for the input. Showing my 'newb' ness to the AK - Double Stack?

As in how the mag feeds? I thougth all AK's were based on the one tired design, would'nt that make various mag's not compatable?
    There's .223, 5.45 and 7.62 AK's. I don't know if the different calibers mean different mags, but I would bet so.

Some AK's are 100% import (no US parts) and if so, can't be double stack. I think it has to be called a "sport rifle" or some crap like that, but either way it's single stack only.

I'm actually about to open up my single stack AK to double. It's possible, but takes a bit of dremel work.

That about does it for my knowledge of AK's...just got a WASR 2 so I've been doing some research.

Double stack means theres two stacks of bullets in the magazine so it holds more rounds (usually 20 or 30 vs 10 in a single stack).

I think all mags are compatible once you have the bigger opening in the gun to accept double stack mags, I think you can still use single stack mags with it too.. But don't quote me on any of this as I've never actually owned an AK, but want one and have read up a bit on them..

-Brandon

I am a Forum User
    I have no knowledge of AK's or laws but is it legal to modify them from single to double stack?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by fbuckner
    I have no knowledge of AK's or laws but is it legal to modify them from single to double stack?
    There needs to be no more then 10 foreign parts on the gun (usually means 5 US parts) in order to do it.

Closed Account Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-2many
    I've got one currently (WASR 10) and have had a couple I've sold in the past. I would just make sure the front sight isn't canted to hell & back and the overall look of the gun is something you can live with. I'd also try and stick with the double stack models. I've seen some with serious canted front sight and furniture that was in really bad shape. The last two I've had weren't perfect, but I could live with it. I've never had one jam or malfunction in any way. I haven't paid more than $300.00 for one (I'm not sure if Dunham's will still occasionally have them on sell for less anymore) but for what it is and how much they cost, I can't complain.
    I still have the one I bought from you a while back. Beat the living **** out of it and it still runs great. Shot it today actually. I've never cleaned it.

It wears a folding stock and has a green card now, but its a fun gun.

Just find a good piece with straight sights and seems to be built well, and pick it up. It may need some help in finishing up the mag well or other misc stuff.

Prices have risen a bit since I bought mine, but they can be found used for good prices usually. I would look at pawn shops, gun shows and Guns Galore before buying from Dunhams.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the good info, I'm gonna look over the next month or so and get one around Aug - Sept most likely.

Thanks!

I, also, got mine from Dunham's. Keep an eye on the Sunday ads. They put out an occasional flier with these on sale. I got a WASR 10 with 2 double stack mags for $339. The wood is unfinished and ready for whatever I decide to do with it.

Enjoy your search. It's a fun shooter.
    "Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast