Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Stolen Firearms Question/Help

long story short....I had some firearms stolen from my home almost 10 years ago. I of course turned in a list of SNs to my local police dept. To my complete surprise a few of them were recovered and returned to me over the years. I recentl'y moved and changed my phone # so I wonder if anyone knows how I can update my contact info in whatever database LE is tracking stolen guns? Another one might show up someday, you never know. I asked the Oakland County's Sheriff Dept last week and the two officers there didn't know. Any help would be appreciated.

MGO Member
    Just a thought, contact the records division of the department that did the report on them in the first place.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    Just a thought, contact the records division of the department that did the report on them in the first place.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

I am a Forum User
    Something tells me you might get fked by your insurance company. They were stolen, you filed claim, you get money, now you have the get the same serials back. Do you have to give back the money, or did they request it or the guns? I dont really know how big your collection is but some people have 30 guns and spend 3k for accessories on each gun so that about a hundred grand. Im just surprised that the insurance company would be cool with that. No worries though and glad you got them back.

I am a Forum User
    Did you read a different story than I did? Because his first post doesn't say anything about an insurance company.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalKing View Post
    Something tells me you might get fked by your insurance company. They were stolen, you filed claim, you get money, now you have the get the same serials back. Do you have to give back the money, or did they request it or the guns? I dont really know how big your collection is but some people have 30 guns and spend 3k for accessories on each gun so that about a hundred grand. Im just surprised that the insurance company would be cool with that. No worries though and glad you got them back.

I am a Forum User
    gjgallian has it right. When LE has a hit on stolen property the follow-up is with the original reporting agency. Keep your contact info current with that agency and they should contact you if anything else turns up or they will provide that info to the recovering agency.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks guys...going back to the records dept where I reported them stolen in the first place makes perfect sense but something I was trying to avoid......the reason for keeping the story short was that multiple LE agencies outside the city I was living in at the time all think someone in that records department had something to do with the burglary in the first place. I'm not really interested in going back there and volunteering where I've moved so I was hoping for an alternative method of updating my contact information. I asked the county sheriff about this last week but the folks on duty at the time couldn't help, guess I'll try MSP next since I'm told they own the stolen firearms database. Any other advice would be appreciate.