Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Up north gun show...

Harbor Springs Gun Show

October 11 & 12

Saturday 9am to 5pm
    Sunday 9am to 3pm

at the Emmet County Fair Gounds
    US 31 (Charlevoix Ave)
    Petoskey, MI

For information call Tim:
    231/526-5370

I am a Forum User
    Marked for later

I am a Forum User
    Charlevoix guy here. I will put it on my calendar. Haven't been to it since they started using the Fairgrounds to host it. Looking forward to it.

Jeff

MGO Member
    Also Harrison--at the Clare Co fairgrounds Sat & Sun Sep 13 & 14th.

I am a Forum User
    being on the western most end of the U.P., I rarely find any shows to go to.

There are a lot in wisconsin, but forget about buying at one and trying to get your purchase home

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by yooper1
    being on the western most end of the U.P., I rarely find any shows to go to.

There are a lot in wisconsin, but forget about buying at one and trying to get your purchase home

Please explain, should be quite easy , at least for rifles and shotguns, to buy in Wisconsin and own in Michigan.

Handguns could be another matter all together.

Jeff

I am a Forum User
    Handguns could be another matter all together.
    Yeah, that is the problem.

Even a couple private sellers at wisconsin shows have mentioned that they need Wisconsin ID at the shows and will not sell to Michigan residents. (this is for both rifles and pistols)

Not sure why.

But, in the off chance you find something (handgun) you want at a deal you want, you then need to have it shipped to a Michigan FFL.

So, whatever you saved in buying at a show you then spend in transfer fees

The amount of FFL's here that do transfers are limited and some are raising the transfer fee unrealistically. I suppose, why not, there is a need for the service.

There is only 1 gun shop here in Ironwood. This shop is open like 2 hours a day for 1 or 2 days a week. The next actual "shop" that I know of is either in Houghton (3 hours away) or as far over as Iron Mountain and Marquette. (3 1/2 hours away) (Shop, meaning a place with actual inventory on display)

Where as Hurley, WI (across the river that separates our downtowns [which share a street as main streets]) has 1 open with regular business hours. Then there are probably 8 more within a 45 minute drive into Wisconsin

The handful of FFL's here in the Ironwood area, basically only have stuff that they do not want anymore, for sale. The rest they keep for themselves. (even though the FFL CANNOT be used to increase your own collection) <---- yeah, right

Oh well

OK, I better stop.

I realize that I can rant for hours if allowed to today
    Last edited by yooper1; 09-21-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling

See you on the other side Forum User
    Most FFL holders are hunters, sport shooters, and collectors. If they were not interested in owing firearms I certainly would not want the to be in the business. Many of the larger full service gun stores were started by the so called tabletop FFL holders that began in the kitchen, basement, or garage. I don't know of any owners or store employees that work around firearms that don't buy guns from the store's inventory. It is one of the perks of being in that sort of a business.

You are correct that transfer fees are a sore spot but they are also one way for an FFL holder to pay for his overhead. In Grand Rapids fees range from as little as fifteen dollars upwards to sixty dollars. It costs a lot of money to stock a store and if a guy can not make a living then there will be one less gun store in your neighborhood.

I would think unless Wisconsin has a law to the contrary that you should be able to buy a long gun or a shotgun from an FFL holder in that state.

I am a Forum User
    Dah Yooper1 man. Yah needs to come down below under the bridge and come to the land of the Fudgies and Trolls eh! We's show you some good gun shops and some non Fudd guns-----------just bring some bunny bread and lingenkugels beer , eh!

I am a Forum User
    Anyone know if there's gonna be a CCW/CPL class at the gun show?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast