Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

SB 0085 definition of pneumatic guns

• SB 0085 of 2015
      Weapons; firearms; definition of pneumatic guns; provide for, and prohibit certain regulations by local units of government. Amends title & secs. 1, 2, 3 & 4 of 1990 PA 319 (MCL 123.1101 et seq.).
      Last Action: 2/10/2015 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

To the Govt. officials this might make sense, but to someone that used to be a serious airgunner, this is confusing as h&%l. We all know pneumatic guns as ones that you manually pump, as where C02 is not pneumatic(which technically it is but not in airgunner's terms) and a spring gun is not considered pneumatic by most airgunners either. I think the language shouldn't be as they want it to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
    To the Govt. officials this might make sense, but to someone that used to be a serious airgunner, this is confusing as h&%l. We all know pneumatic guns as ones that you manually pump, as where C02 is not pneumatic(which technically it is but not in airgunner's terms) and a spring gun is not considered pneumatic by most airgunners either. I think the language shouldn't be as they want it to be changed.
    The title of the thread is a little deceiving.

This has little to do with defining a "pneumatic" gun. This is amendments to Act 319 of 1990. An Act entitled "AN ACT to prohibit local units of government from imposing certain restrictions on the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms." <- link

This is the Act that we generally refer to as "preemption". All that is happening here is that they are adding any form of "pneumatic" gun to the preemption, because if the bills removing "pneumatic" guns from "firearms" categories.

Within this bill legislature spells out what they are referring to when they use the term "pneumatic gun" and it looks to include just about everything including "air-soft" and "paintball"

If this one doesn't happen then the locals could restrict "pneumatic" guns down to the point that you can't even own one in that jurisdiction.

With only a quick "once over" I see no down side to this bill.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    The title of the thread is a little deceiving.

This has little to do with defining a "pneumatic" gun. This is amendments to Act 319 of 1990. An Act entitled "AN ACT to prohibit local units of government from imposing certain restrictions on the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms." <- link

This is the Act that we generally refer to as "preemption". All that is happening here is that they are adding any form of "pneumatic" gun to the preemption, because if the bills removing "pneumatic" guns from "firearms" categories.

Within this bill legislature spells out what they are referring to when they use the term "pneumatic gun" and it looks to include just about everything including "air-soft" and "paintball"

If this one doesn't happen then the locals could restrict "pneumatic" guns down to the point that you can't even own one in that jurisdiction.

With only a quick "once over" I see no down side to this bill.
    I guess i'm still a bit confused on what it all really means. I thought I read somewhere in another bill about changing it back to where you would be able to buy pellet pistols without registering them as pistols, do you think that would happen as well?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
    I guess i'm still a bit confused on what it all really means. I thought I read somewhere in another bill about changing it back to where you would be able to buy pellet pistols without registering them as pistols, do you think that would happen as well?
    There is another set of bills that remove all "pneumatic" guns from the definition of "firearm". This would bring us more in line with Federal definitions and regulations. AND, since they would no longer be "firearms" and have their own definition, it would drop them out of most other State regulations, including 28.422 & 422(a) registration requirements. This would also open up the laws to allow for "mail order" purchases. The "pneumatic guns" will still be classified as "firearms" under hunting laws, so that they can still be regulated the same way for the purpose of "taking game".

The issue that THIS bill addresses is that the other bills also open it up so that Local Municipalities COULD start to regulate them like they do knives. This bill just adds "pneumatic guns" into the preemption laws to prevent that.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    SB 0085 of 2015
    Weapons; firearms; definition of pneumatic guns; provide for, and prohibit certain regulations by local units of government. Amends title & secs. 1, 2, 3 & 4 of 1990 PA 319 (MCL 123.1101 et seq.).
    Last Action: 3/10/2015 Analysis File Added

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    There is another set of bills that remove all "pneumatic" guns from the definition of "firearm". This would bring us more in line with Federal definitions and regulations. AND, since they would no longer be "firearms" and have their own definition, it would drop them out of most other State regulations, including 28.422 & 422(a) registration requirements. This would also open up the laws to allow for "mail order" purchases. The "pneumatic guns" will still be classified as "firearms" under hunting laws, so that they can still be regulated the same way for the purpose of "taking game".

The issue that THIS bill addresses is that the other bills also open it up so that Local Municipalities COULD start to regulate them like they do knives. This bill just adds "pneumatic guns" into the preemption laws to prevent that.
    I hope that they do get rid of this crap registration on pellet pistols. Years ago I was going to buy one, because as a serious airgunner I knew that pellets were the real deal and had real firearms accuracy but the thought of registering one made me sick, I was not going to pay 10 bucks for a background check and drive 25 miles each way to obtain a permit for a 40 dollar pistol and be registered to it forever when they sometimes break and are discarded in a few months.

I am a Forum User
    SB 0085 of 2015
    Last Action: 3/12/2015 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE

I am a Forum User
    SB 0085 of 2015
    Last Action: 3/24/2015 PLACED ON ORDER OF THIRD READING

I am a Forum User
    SB 0085 of 2015
    Last Action: 3/25/2015 referred to Committee on Judiciary

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast