Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

HB 4578 Local Gov't authorities

• HB 4578 of 2015
      Local government; authorities; recreational authorities act; revise to include school districts. Amends sec. 3 of 2000 PA 321 (MCL 123.1133).
      Last Action: 4/19/2016 transmitted

I am reading this the right way? This bill would add school districts to the list of Municipalities that can create "authorities", but is it also a sneaky backdoor way to end the MGO v Ann Arbor Public School lawsuit in our favor?

Quote Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
    I am reading this the right way? This bill would add school districts to the list of Municipalities that can create "authorities", but is it also a sneaky backdoor way to end the MGO v Ann Arbor Public School lawsuit in our favor?
    I would say yes, and no.

Yes, this adds School Districts onto the list of Municipalities and the like that can form partnerships and share funding etcetera for the creation of a "Recreational Authority". These "Authorities" are limited in scope to certain things:
    (e) The purposes for which the authority is established, which shall be the acquisition, construction, operation, maintenance, or improvement of 1 or more of the following:

(i) A public swimming pool.

(ii) A public recreation center.

(iii) A public auditorium.

(iv) A public conference center.

(v) A public park.

(vi) A public museum.

(vii) A public historic farm.
    This will allow multiple to get together to build pools, ball diamonds, other "sports fields"

No, it would have no bearing on the school and the current points of contention. It does not turn the school district into an "authority" different than what it is now.

It MAY raise other problems if the school were to get involved with existing public facilities. It may turn them into OC w/CPL only, just as the schools are.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Ok....my next question would be: why did Mike post it here? I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse, we don't usually see any old bill posted in this section, just ones that effect gun ownership and the carrying of said gun.

MGO Member
    me thinks we need to fight this bill

I am a Forum User
    DATE: Tuesday, May 17, 2016

TIME: 12:30 p.m.

PLACE: Room 100, Farnum Building

125 W. Allegan Street, Lansing, MI 48933

PHONE: Jackie Mosher (373-5312)

Committee Clerk

AGENDA

HB 4578 Rep. Potvin Local government; authorities; recreational authorities act; revise to include school districts.

HB 4656 Rep. Johnson Drains; other; entry on property for drain maintenance project; require written notification to property owner.

I am a Forum User
    HB 4578 of 2015
    Local government; authorities; recreational authorities act; revise to include school districts. Amends sec. 3 of 2000 PA 321 (MCL 123.1133).
    Last Action: 5/18/2016 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE

I am a Forum User
    HB 4578 of 2015
    Last Action: 5/25/2016 PLACED ON ORDER OF THIRD READING

MGO Member
    Ill mention it to Tristin Cole on the 10th of June. If you are in the 105th district check his schedule for 'coffee hours' around the district.

I am a Forum User
    750.237a (6)

(6) As used in this section:

(b) "School" means a public, private, denominational, or parochial school offering developmental kindergarten, kindergarten, or any grade from 1 through 12.

(c) "School property" means a building, playing field, or property used for school purposes to impart instruction to children or used for functions and events sponsored by a school, except a building used primarily for adult education or college extension courses.

(d) "Weapon" includes, but is not limited to, a pneumatic gun.

(e) "Weapon free school zone" means school property and a vehicle used by a school to transport students to or from school property.
    The question would be, would any of the listed places fall into the above definitions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast