Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG….Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<
MGO Annual members meeting and BOD elections & Picnic July 23rd. 2017….PLEASE RSVP >>>>>HERE<<<<< for planning purposes…………
Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: New RI - 60 Forms

  1. #1
    I am a Forum User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartland Mi.
    Posts
    2,874

    New RI - 60 Forms

    I went to my local Sheriff's Department monday to register five handhuns,two that i bought here on this site within the last week,and Three that I inherited from my Father that passed a few months ago. I wasnt sure how the inherited guns would be registered after wednesday so i thought i better get it done now. Everthing went smoothly and after i completed the paper work, I asked for a few of the new RI-60 forms that are in Quadruplicate form. the lady behind the desk reached down and grabbed about 4 of them for me. Now its thursday and im about 70 miles from my house,im staying at a friends house down river.I forgot to bring my forms with me and im planning to buy a sig today from a mgo member down this way. So i went to the local PD down here in Woodhaven. And when i asked for a couple of RI-60 forms,The cop behind the counter says first give me your CPL. I asked why He needed it just for the forms. He says because i wanna run your CPL and see if theres been any restrictions since issued before i give you any forms. I thought this was some BS but gave it to him anyway,because i had nothing to hide. Then after everything checked out he asked if I would bring the paper work back to him after the sale so he could try the new system out. I think im gonna be taking it back to Livingston County.

  2. #2
    Administrator PhotoTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wayne Co. MI
    Posts
    19,463
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBiker
    I went to my local Sheriff's Department monday to register five handhuns,two that i bought here on this site within the last week,and Three that I inherited from my Father that passed a few months ago. I wasnt sure how the inherited guns would be registered after wednesday so i thought i better get it done now. Everthing went smoothly and after i completed the paper work, I asked for a few of the new RI-60 forms that are in Quadruplicate form. the lady behind the desk reached down and grabbed about 4 of them for me. Now its thursday and im about 70 miles from my house,im staying at a friends house down river.I forgot to bring my forms with me and im planning to buy a sig today from a mgo member down this way. So i went to the local PD down here in Woodhaven. And when i asked for a couple of RI-60 forms,The cop behind the counter says first give me your CPL. I asked why He needed it just for the forms. He says because i wanna run your CPL and see if theres been any restrictions since issued before i give you any forms. I thought this was some BS but gave it to him anyway,because i had nothing to hide. Then after everything checked out he asked if I would bring the paper work back to him after the sale so he could try the new system out. I think im gonna be taking it back to Livingston County.

    Hmmm...I didn't know that was an option (taking it to an agency other than your local PD (or SO when you don't have a PD)...

    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

  3. #3
    I am a Forum User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartland Mi.
    Posts
    2,874
    I thought that we had to take it to the local PD, In my case i dont have a Hartland Township PD. so i always go to Livingston County Sheriff Located in Howell. The new RI 60 form's are all the same thats why i went to Woodhaven to get one,it was closer, Maybe he Assumed that i was from woodhaven,My new CPL doesnt have my home address on it like my first one did 5 years ago. it was my understanding that we could go to any PD and get a RI60. I just was wondering if anybody else was asked for there CPL first before they could get one

  4. #4
    Administrator PhotoTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wayne Co. MI
    Posts
    19,463
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBiker
    I thought that we had to take it to the local PD, In my case i dont have a Hartland Township PD. so i always go to Livingston County Sheriff Located in Howell. The new RI 60 form's are all the same thats why i went to Woodhaven to get one,it was closer, Maybe he Assumed that i was from woodhaven,My new CPL doesnt have my home address on it like my first one did 5 years ago. it was my understanding that we could go to any PD and get a RI60. I just was wondering if anybody else was asked for there CPL first before they could get one
    When he ran you through LEIN...your current address would have shown up. But you're right...maybe he just assumed you were a "local" and didn't catch it...but when you said he asked if you'd bring them back there so he could test the new system...that's where I figured he DID know...but was looking for a "test case" to practice on...

    I've never heard of being run upon asking for RI-60's. It actually makes sense, but to my knowledge, there's nothing in the law that authorizes it.

    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

  5. #5
    Administrator PhotoTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wayne Co. MI
    Posts
    19,463
    By the way...
    If you go to our "Resources and Links" page, there is a direct link for downloading the RI-60...and it doesn't require a background check

    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

  6. #6
    The forms are available online, FYI.

  7. #7
    I am a Forum User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartland Mi.
    Posts
    2,874
    I know there available online,thats why i Thought it was strange to run the CPL. If anyone can just print them up. Im not at home with my desktop and printer. Im at a friends house with a laptop,no printer. just weasleing free wifi of a unsecure nieghboors router

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom
    By the way...
    If you go to our "Resources and Links" page, there is a direct link for downloading the RI-60...and it doesn't require a background check
    Sorry for the necro-post.

    Could someone please click this RI-60 Link and tell me if they actually get a copy of the RI-60 PDF. I'm getting a dead link.

    Thanks in advance.

    RJ

  9. #9
    I am a Forum User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    4,326
    Quote Originally Posted by rjrivero
    Sorry for the necro-post.

    Could someone please click this RI-60 Link and tell me if they actually get a copy of the RI-60 PDF. I'm getting a dead link.

    Thanks in advance.

    RJ
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MSP+Pistol+Sales+record

    Form got replaced/updated this year.

    http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...615---,00.html

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ
    Thanks. But that's the same link, and I still get a load error. Did you click the link? Is it a problem with the MSP server or is it a problem on this machine? (I think it's a MSP problem because it's dead linked on my phone as well.)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
only search Michigan Gun Owners Forums
MGO's Facebook MGO's Twitter