Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Ohio Turn Pike Rest Area No Carry

Does anyone know if something changed on the I-80 Turn pike in Ohio. I had to stop at one of the rest stops/service areas today and on the doors was a no weapons sign. I travel this way several time a year and never seen these signs before and I cant find anything about a law change. I didt have a chance to take a picture of the sign so I apologize for no pic. So does anyone else know about this that can shed some light on.

Someone I work with in Ohio said it could be that the turn pike decided they are private property but was just speculating. I don't know if it is all of them or just the one I happened to stop at. I am about 80% that it was at the Towpath service area.
    Last edited by derrabe; 08-30-2016 at 06:02 PM.

I am a Forum User
    no never heard of such a thing. don't like the sounds of it though

I am a Forum User
    No pics= didn't happen. Carry on!

Seriously though, is it civil or criminal in that state to carry in a posted area? Are they Preempted? I'm hardly a legal scholar when it comes to local law and even less so as it pertains to other stated.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

I was driving across ohio 1 month ago and didn't notice any signs at the turnpike stops. I was on my way to/from jersey, so i wasn't carrying, but i think I would have noticed signs just the same.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Just through there last week didn't notice any signs, and I look because I'm carrying.

I am a Forum User
    I'm pretty sure that signs in ohio have power of law.... NOt sure if public buildings can have them however.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by METL View Post
    I'm pretty sure that signs in ohio have power of law.... NOt sure if public buildings can have them however.
    It's pretty well known that the turnpike rest stops at least used to be no carry (See an old thread here: http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...o-Turnpike-CEZ ), and their signs DO have power of law.

I believe Ohio changed their law in 2008 to allow carry in rest areas, but they never took their signs down. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...est-areas.html

Read it carefully, The signs generally say "unless authorized by law."

I am a Forum User
    Just stopped at different rest area on i80 here is the sign on all the doors. So does this mean cc is permitted?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am a Forum User
    Was through there two weeks ago and stopped in one headed east, did not see any signs and was carrying. Years ago I remember seeing signs but no longer.

I am a Forum User
    I was also out this way about 2 weeks ago and did not see these signs so they must be new

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast