Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Forgive me if I missed it but what does the top part of this law regarding guns and schools mean? Anything?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firespec35 View Post
    Forgive me if I missed it but what does the top part of this law regarding guns and schools mean? Anything?
    I believe it just removes the references to MCL 750.226a

Quote Originally Posted by MJ0865 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firespec35 View Post
    I believe it just removes the references to MCL 750.226a
    That is the primary reason that it is listed there.

Both MCL 750.231 and 750.237a had references to 750.226a that needed to be removed.

There is a little more to it, but it doesn't change much beyond removing the reference to another law section that has been eliminated.

There are a bunch of changes in those two sections of law with these bills, but it all falls under the heading of "house keeping". There have been a number of court cases where the ruling stated things like "person" can mean a corporation, or "shall" can mean "may". So anytime they open a section of law for amendment, they are fixing as many of these things (like capitalization of the words Army, Navy, National Guard, etc.) and replacing "person" with "individual" or "shall" with "will" as needed. So the rest of it usually doesn't mean anything.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

A new analysis of the bill/act added:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...SFA-0245-N.pdf
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

I disagree with the fiscal impact part. It says there will be no fiscal impact on the State, but in reality, the State will benefit from the sales taxes of "switchblades", at least initially (surge of sales).
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Thanks.

I thought it took immediate effect.
    US Army
    NRA member
    USPSA Chief Range Officer & NRA RSO
    NRA CPL instructor- group and private
    Private firearm instructions

Quote Originally Posted by 71commander View Post
    Thanks.

I thought it took immediate effect.
    The "immediate effect" means that it becomes law as soon as is listed in the bill itself. If it has "immediate effect" and no time frame in the bill, it becomes law when it is recorded by the SoS. If it doesn't have "immediate effect", it becomes law 90 days AFTER the END of the CURRENT SESSION.

This bill has "immediate effect" and it states in the bill 90 days after being enacted into law, so sometime in October. (I don't have a calendar handy, and don't want to do the counting)

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

90 days from July 13th would be October 11th.

MGO Board of Directors

I am a Forum User
    So if I posses a mechanical knife that has a blade length of 3.4", how will I convince the police that my possession of it is the pure enjoyment of carrying it.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast