Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    I've asked elected officials this same type of question. The answer was always the same. "You need to work to help us elect Republicans so we can gain control of the House, Senate and elect a Republican governor". Apparently we are still waiting for the Republicans to control the House and Senate with a Republican governor.

Frankly, our problem is too many antigunners in the senate and too many antigun governors. Maybe in two years they will start making progress.
    Our problem is too many government people in government..

The basic premise of lawyers is that they find ways in which to "reinterpret" what someone wrote down in an effort to present their position as the correct position..

Our government is filled with lawyers...

Now lawyers can read the exact same paragraphs that you and I can read and the only difference is that you and I read it and it says, "the government can't do this.." They read it and present it as, "the government will maybe allow you to do that.."

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nrich1979 View Post
    Our problem is too many government people in government..

The basic premise of lawyers is that they find ways in which to "reinterpret" what someone wrote down in an effort to present their position as the correct position..

Our government is filled with lawyers...

Now lawyers can read the exact same paragraphs that you and I can read and the only difference is that you and I read it and it says, "the government can't do this.." They read it and present it as, "the government will maybe allow you to do that.."
    I used to believe this.

After I became a lawyer, I found that the notion of us having a government that is this way was because of lawyers is just not true. For one thing, most people in government are not lawyers, but have a variety of backgrounds. IIRC, most people in Michigan gov't come from a business background, not a legal background. If you want to blame a profession, I guess it has to be business people, but even I don't think that is fair.

The other reality is that it is nearly impossible to craft laws that foresee every circumstance. It is human nature to push boundaries and limits. If you have kids, you probably see this every day.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    I used to believe this.

After I became a lawyer, I found that the notion of us having a government that is this way was because of lawyers is just not true. For one thing, most people in government are not lawyers, but have a variety of backgrounds. IIRC, most people in Michigan gov't come from a business background, not a legal background. If you want to blame a profession, I guess it has to be business people, but even I don't think that is fair.

The other reality is that it is nearly impossible to craft laws that foresee every circumstance. It is human nature to push boundaries and limits. If you have kids, you probably see this every day.
    I don't blame lawyers for being lawyers..

Right now I believe that lawyers are our best defense against an overreaching government..

But I sincerely do not believe that many of the people in government poised to impact our state in a meaningful way do not so much as use the bathroom without a legal brief approving their statement after the fact..

Right now I believe that lawyers are our best defense against an overreaching government...
    Then again, some are the root cause of the problem. Notice that I said 'Some". The lawyers on MGO are top notch and I hold them in the highest regard.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...fiscation-Laws
    If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Right now I believe that lawyers are our best defense against an overreaching government..

But I sincerely do not believe that many of the people in government poised to impact our state in a meaningful way do not so much as use the bathroom without a legal brief approving their statement after the fact..
    You need to meet some legislators, then. You'd be surprised how little they know laws. Just look at our convoluted gun laws and tell me these were drafted by people that read any kind of briefs.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MLG View Post
    Then again, some are the root cause of the problem. Notice that I said 'Some". The lawyers on MGO are top notch and I hold them in the highest regard.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...fiscation-Laws
    The ABA has always supported gun control. They will never see any support from me.

MGO Member
    You need to meet some legislators, then. You'd be surprised how little they know laws. Just look at our convoluted gun laws and tell me these were drafted by people that read any kind of briefs.
    LEGALESE is a foreign language to most people. Our poorly worded laws just show what happens when people that don't know it pretend they do.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

The ABA has always supported gun control. They will never see any support from me.
    I understand and I never thought that you or any of the other Lawyers associated with MGO were in support of the ABA position. Whenever an organization like ABA or AMA make a positional statement, it's easy for the casual reader to jump to the conclusion that all Lawyers or all Doctors support their position.
    If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    LEGALESE is a foreign language to most people. Our poorly worded laws just show what happens when people that don't know it pretend they do.
    They are purposefully vague remember laws aren't written to control masses and dictate individual behavior, they exist to dictate to government the extent of their control

MGO Member
    And yet the government is forever abusing them.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast