Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

SAF Sues Michigan Agency Over Civil Rights Violations Against Foster Parents

SAF Sues Michigan Agency Over Civil Rights Violations Against Foster Parents

Cision PR Newswire
    July 17th. 2017

BELLEVUE, Wash., July 17, 2017 The Second Amendment Foundation today filed a federal lawsuit against the head of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) on behalf of four Michigan residents, alleging civil rights violations under color of law for enforcing restrictions on the Second Amendment rights of people who want to be foster or adoptive parents.

SAF is joined in the lawsuit by William and Jill Johnson and Brian and Naomi Mason. The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, alleges that MDHHS caseworkers told Mr. Johnson, a 100-percent disabled Marine Corps veteran who sought custody of his grandson that he would have to give the agency the serial numbers of all of his firearms. When he questioned this, the caseworkers allegedly told him, "If you want to care for your grandson you will have to give up some of your constitutional rights." This was after the state asked the Johnsons to be foster parents to their grandson.

Two weeks later, the lawsuit alleges, a Gogebic County Court judge told the Johnsons that if they wanted their grandson placed in their care, "We know we are violating numerous constitutional rights here, but if you do not comply, we will remove the boy from your home."

I am a Forum User
    Tar and feathers for that judge.

I am a Forum User
    My wife is jumping through the fostering hoops right now to foster a friends child. All they asked her to do was verify the firearms were properly stored. I was curious how that portion was going to go but seems like she got an agent willing to let her keep her rights.

On a side note, the foster system is a disaster in this state. The ridiculous hoops you have to jump through in order to help a child is absurd.

I am a Forum User
    Two weeks later, the lawsuit alleges, a Gogebic County Court judge told the Johnsons that if they wanted their grandson placed in their care, "We know we are violating numerous constitutional rights here, but if you do not comply, we will remove the boy from your home."
    If a County Court Judge can admit to violating numerous constitutional rights from the bench I would think our State Attorney General would want to have him removed.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallbear View Post
    If a County Court Judge can admit to violating numerous constitutional rights from the bench I would think our State Attorney General would want to have him removed.
    IKR?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerV76 View Post
    My wife is jumping through the fostering hoops right now to foster a friends child. All they asked her to do was verify the firearms were properly stored. I was curious how that portion was going to go but seems like she got an agent willing to let her keep her rights.

On a side note, the foster system is a disaster in this state. The ridiculous hoops you have to jump through in order to help a child is absurd.
    That would be interesting, MI doesn't HAVE any storage requirements.
    Seems to me that means however you have them stored is OK.

Especially if he wants to be our next governor!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    That would be interesting, MI doesn't HAVE any storage requirements.
    Seems to me that means however you have them stored is OK.
    Not easily accessible for children was the main verification.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TylerV76; 07-17-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    Tar and feathers for that judge.
    Don't forget the state agency that promulgates these rules and the governor who allows this to happen. This has been the policy for a long time and should not be allowed to continue.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

LOL.... Bill has been out to lunch for a long time now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast