Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Question CPL renewal in Oakland Co.

It's getting close to my first renewal of my CPL. I know that I must certify that I spent 3 hours reviewing training and an hour of range time. Does this need to be a in the form of a formal refresher class? One of my buddies did his renewal last year and did not have to take a refresher class or present a certificate, another buddy just renewed last week and they asked for his refresher class certificate. Did something change?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by MrDrift View Post
    It's getting close to my first renewal of my CPL. I know that I must certify that I spent 3 hours reviewing training and an hour of range time. Does this need to be a in the form of a formal refresher class? One of my buddies did his renewal last year and did not have to take a refresher class or present a certificate, another buddy just renewed last week and they asked for his refresher class certificate. Did something change?
    No formal refresher class required:

MCL 28.425l (9):
    (9) The educational requirements under section 5b(7)(c) for an applicant who is applying for a renewal of a license under this act are waived except that the applicant shall certify that he or she has completed at least 3 hours' review of the training described under section 5b(7)(c) and has had at least 1 hour of firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the subsequent application. The educational and firing range requirements of this subsection are met if the applicant certifies on the renewal application form that he or she has complied with the requirements of this subsection. An applicant is not required to verify the statements made under this subsection and is not required to obtain a certificate or undergo training other than as required by this subsection.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Thank you!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDrift View Post
    One of my buddies did his renewal last year and did not have to take a refresher class or present a certificate, another buddy just renewed last week and they asked for his refresher class certificate. Did something change?
    What?!? Who asked? That person is NOT following the law.

Certificate is only needed for application, not renewal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    did you have to goto county clerk or will a local Gov't (royal oak ) be able to handle it?

No refresher course needed in Wayne County

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Here is the form for Application and Renewal from Michigan.gov

Here is the website for the Renewal Process on Michigan.gov

Please note Bullet 3 for where to take your application:

CPL holders will be notified that their license is approaching expiration by their county clerk between three to six months prior to the expiration of their current license.* A CPL may be renewed at the appropriate county clerk’s office with a $115 payment to the county clerk.
    This is the County Cleck for where you have residence, not where you first applied. So if you have moved, go there. If you live in Oakland County, the address is:

1200 N Telegraph Rd, Pontiac, MI 48341

Please note Bullet # 8 for the Training Requirements:

The applicant shall sign the statement on the application certifying that he or she has completed at least three hours of review of the required training and has had at least one hour of firing range time in the six months immediately preceding the renewal application.
    There is no requirement for documentation, just your word and signature on the application stating you have completed the required training.

Honestly, I get the "required training" about every three months between range sessions and review/checking to see what our elected morons have tried to do to curtail our rights.

Because ignorance is no excuse before the judge unless your last name is Clinton.

PS I couldn't get the links to look right so copy the entire link to your browser. Sorry...
    Last edited by ArtsNCrash; 08-23-2017 at 01:52 PM.