Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Concealed Carry Permits Hit New All-time High

Concealed Carry Permits Hit New All-time High

By Bob Adelman
    New American
    August 22nd. 2017

The latest report from the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) shows that not only did nearly two million more Americans obtain their concealed carry permits in 2016 — a new record for the fourth year in a row — but that brings the total to more than 16.3 million U.S. citizens with permits. That’s up from 4.5 million just a decade ago, and means that, on average, one in every 20 American citizens has a concealed carry permit.

Most of the growth is taking place among women and minorities, partly because of concerns about personal safety and partly because of the paradigm shift in favor of the Second Amendment that has been taking place in the United States. Said John Lott, the founder of CPRC and its chief researcher, “It’s pretty much the most vulnerable people in our society who benefit the most from having the option to be able to go and protect themselves.”

I am glad to see more and more responsible gun owners exercise their right (if this is the correct term) to carry, and to carry concealed. The downside to the increase in concealed carry permits is, in my opinion, that we now are increasing the probability of a "bad guy" getting a concealed carry permit. When this guy (or gal) does something bad or stupid, the Anti-2A community will be condemning ALL responsible gun owners, in particular, those with a concealed carry permit.

Just out of curiosity, do other states, similar to Michigan, make it easier to purchase a handgun with a concealed carry permit? Could this be one of the reasons for the increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    I am glad to see more and more responsible gun owners exercise their right (if this is the correct term) to carry, and to carry concealed. The downside to the increase in concealed carry permits is, in my opinion, that we now are increasing the probability of a "bad guy" getting a concealed carry permit. When this guy (or gal) does something bad or stupid, the Anti-2A community will be condemning ALL responsible gun owners, in particular, those with a concealed carry permit.

Just out of curiosity, do other states, similar to Michigan, make it easier to purchase a handgun with a concealed carry permit? Could this be one of the reasons for the increase?
    Yes. Almost all states are just cash and carry, including private sales. carry licenses do serve a purpose in many states though.

Washington, 5 day waiting period waived.

Iowa, permit to purchase waived.

Nebraska, permit to purchase waived.

Minnesota, permit to purchase handguns and assault weapons waived.

Florida, 3 day waiting period for handgun dealer purchase waived.

Delaware, private sale ban waived.

Connecticut, 14 day waiting period for long guns waived, I believe the waiting period for long guns in lieu of a permit to purchase is not longer available as of 2014.

North Carolina, permit to purchase waived.

Rhode Island, 7 day waiting period waived. State background check waived. Proof of safety questionnaire completion waived.

New Hampshire, allowed to do a private sale of a pistol with a person whom you don't know.
    Last edited by Jared1981; 08-23-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared1981 View Post

Yes. Almost all states are just cash and carry, including private sales. carry licenses do serve a purpose in many states though.

Washington, 5 day waiting period waived.

Iowa, permit to purchase waived.

Nebraska, permit to purchase waived.

Florida, 3 day waiting period for handgun dealer purchase waived.

Delaware, private sale ban waived.

Connecticut, 14 day waiting period for long guns waived, I believe the waiting period for long guns in lieu of a permit to purchase is not longer available as of 2014.

North Carolina, permit to purchase waived.

Rhode Island, 7 day waiting period waived. State background check waived. Proof of safety questionnaire completion waived.

New Hampshire, allowed to do a private sale of a pistol with a person whom you don't know.
    And any of the States that have a CC process similar to ours would also have the Federal NICS waived.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member

It's been shown over and over that permit holders are more law abiding than the general population and more law abiding than law enforcement officers.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/10/re...g-than-police/
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

I am a Forum User

I see your point, but at the same time every time a drunk driver kills someone, they don't take it out on the non drunk drivers.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep olllllo View Post
    I see your point, but at the same time every time a drunk driver kills someone, they don't take it out on the non drunk drivers.
    Gun owners are special, though....
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

I see your point, but at the same time every time a drunk driver kills someone, they don't take it out on car the non drunk drivers.
    FIFY

As the count of "drunk driving" incidents go up, so do the insurance rates for everybody.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I must disagree with this. drunk driving deaths brought us...

1. lower BAC limits
    2. forced consent (implied consent) for drivers
    3. DUI checkpoints which were upheld federally due to a DUI checkpoint in THIS state.
    4. The politicizing of judges, this was a major problem as CA judges were scared to death of MADD in the 1990's. This isn't talked about much anymore.
    5. The raising of the legal drinking age by forcing states to raise it. Also raised on military bases in the U.S. and even Guam raised it from 18 to 21 not too long ago.
    6. Bar closing times being politicized so 2AM is the most dangerous time to be on the road on a weekend.

On a side note, DUI's have taken a nosedive due to Uber and Lyft. This is why police unions push back against localities that want to regulate or ban rideshare programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared1981 View Post

Does that mean that I can move to Minnesota and buy a machine gun without being checked?