Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAC silencers

MGO Member

AAC silencers

I finally decided to stop thinking about it and to go ahead and get things going with a trust for some NFA toys. I contacted Shyster and am hoping he will be able to help me out with that.

Once I get that squared away, I think the first papers I want to send in will be for an SBR in .300blk as well as a silencer. I must admit I am relatively ignorant of what’s what when it comes to silencers. I am considering an AAC 762 SDN-6. I have a couple of their 51 tooth flashhiders, which is really the only reason I find myself looking at their products...

Any thoughts about them compared to some of the other options out there? Don’t seem to see a ton of mentions of AAC stuff.

Had one since '12 or so. I would not buy again specifically because of the 51T. I would suggest a different mounting system or a direct thread can instead.
    The flash hider mounts are passable for accuracy but the brakes are very wobbly.

Mine has light wear on the detent teeth and it always comes loose one tooth after the first shot on my host with brakes. Three hosts with 'hiders are lighter profile bbl, non-target type rifles seem to do ok with the sdn6. 300BLK, 5.56 and a 243 pistol.

I've had AAC reps comment after looking at this pic^ and say that it looks fine knowing they are talking to an unhappy customer. "It's not a precision can" or something like that was the reply.
    I have absolutely babied this thing too, never been spun on once.
    There are better choices.
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

I am a Forum User
    Agree. The 51 is not the best way to attach a silencer. It's only good for being fast. Direct thread is the best as it retains the least amount of POA shift. Next comes the Thread Over Brake types like Thunderbeast. If your plans are to move one can from many different rifles and you don't mind buying brakes for each then the QD type is fine for convenience. If your going just use it on one or just a few rifles the DT is the way to go. As a first time buyer I can give you this advice. Cost is directly proportional to weight. The lighter the suppressor the more it costs. A full titanium 9oz Thunderbeast Ultra will cost twice as much as a 20oz SS can. BUT they both suppress just as much. Maybe a couple DB difference in most cans of the same length and the human ear can't distinguish the difference. So you have to decide if weight is important to you and if your willing to spend extra on it. You will also find that name brand has an effect on price too. You will pay more for a Silencerco and AAC because they spend a crap ton on advertising and have name recognition. Smaller companies like Innovative Arms and Liberty make superb suppressors at better prices because they are smaller and don't spend a ton on advertising. I have sold more Innovative Arms cans than any other due to their quality, cost and customer support. Reality is they all make excellent suppressors and they all do the job well. I have a cheap Huntertown Kestral I bought as a demo 3 years ago. It is a boat anchor weighing in at 32oz and I think they run $400. It has maybe 10,000 rounds through it without any issues and is still quite. It is an older design with baffles that need to be cleaned which is a pain but it still does the job. I used it as my "guest" can to loan out at the range.

Good luck in your first can purchase! They are totally addicting. I can't stand shooting without a suppressor and hate going to ranges where I have to wear ear protection. Too bad the HPA is going to be buried.

MGO Member
    Thanks guys.

Might not be exactly what I was hoping to hear, but I really appreciate the info and I’m glad to hear it now rather than find out myself after spending $800+ on something subpar.

Banned
    SilencerCo
    Dead Air
    Rugged
    Q
    YHM arguably has one of the best mounts out there, and their prices aren't as high.

I'd only go AAC rifle can if it's on sale.

We used to call AAC by a different name.

BBF

B for quality
    B for sound
    F for customer service

I like a couple of their cans, but there are waaaaaaaaay better options out there.

<cough>Sandman<cough>

MGO Member
    Wow, so much stuff on the market!

I spent several hours looking through the websites of the makers you guys mentioned. Thinking Dead Air or Innovative Arms Will likely be my choice for a first purchase.

I am intrigued by the Silencerco hybrid as well... Definitely seems interesting, and cant help but wonder about being able to use that while hunting with the .450BM...

Quote Originally Posted by hartofthethumb View Post
    ...snip...
    I am intrigued by the Silencerco hybrid as well... snip
    Now that is one I wish I had two or three of. My favorite "rifle" can for sure even though it sees 10mm/243 pistol duty. 6.5CM RPR had it on for last two 625yd BWSA steel open shoots.

It adapts to so many hosts you will need a way to organize the accessories.
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

I am a Forum User
    I use direct threaded cans, the AAC cyclone is just awesome, one of the quieter 308 cans out there. No need for fancy and expensive adapters. best part of all id just buy more threaded ones and everything just works fine. I have it threaded 5/8-24 and use a 1/2" adapter for 223.

Regarding AAC QD suppressors, they came out with a 90T mount to address the 51T mount issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast