Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

New to suppressors

For someone who is new to suppressors there are so many brands and models how do you chose what to buy?

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

a lot of reading, a lot of worrying, and a couple of expensive mistakes.
    If you do one silencer good for 30 caliber rifles, you can handle pretty much all rifles at .30 and below. Add a pistol silencer for .45 and you can handle pretty much anything pistol including 9mm.
    There are hybrids out there that can handle just about everything and all you have to do is switch the mount and endcap... but if you're like most of us you'll wind up wiht a few silencers... but the tradeoff is sometimes putting a really big heavy silencer on a gun that doesn't need it.
    A decent .22 can stands on its own. you can get one that weighs only about 3oz and does a great job on pistols or rifles.

If you want a can good for 5.56 right now, i would say to look at the YHM Turbo because it seems to have a whole lot of features that you find on silencers that cost twice as much.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Like the Doc said, alot of reading, there are a couple of forums online to check out, (type silencer forums in google) a few yrs ago choices where some what limited, now it's packed with alot of new and improved silencers,

I will say this, "buy once cry once" buy the top of the line, do not settle for this will get me by until I can afford a better one.

For me, keep in mind I bought all of mine several yrs ago, and I liked everything AAC was selling, so I spent the money and bought a .22 element, TI-Rant 9mm and a recently a SR-5 in 556,
    I could not be happier, the .22 and 9mm go "tick" tick" tick" when the trigger is pulled.
    One thing I noticed several yrs ao, is this. If manufacturers don't post decibel reductions, move on, that was a deciding factor in my decision.

Spend a few weeks doing research, and you should end up with an informed decision.

Bob M

Decible numbers mean close to nothing, so don’t worry about them.
    Everyone’s ear picks up tones and frequencies differently, so a silencer that has lower dB numbers, may actually sound louder to your ear. This is why Surefire doesn’t bother with them. They are also the quietest to my ear.

Check reviews on forums with a lot of NFA members and pick a brand with the features you like.
    Surefire
    Dead Air
    Rugged
    Silencerco
    Gemtech

These brands have top-notch service and support after the sale.

I’ve been in the business for 25years now and can answer questions over the phone if you need also.
    503-313-0514

Get a .22 silencer first to get your feet wet. They all perform very well in this caliber.
    Try to get one that is easy to clean and is made out of durable materials.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    These brands have top-notch service and support after the sale.
    Do you think gemtech is gonna stay the same now that they've been bought out by S&W?
    I still want to send my old multimount back to be checked out. i hardly ever use it but one mount seems to shift point of impact by 2 or 3 inches at around 7 meters.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    Do you think gemtech is gonna stay the same now that they've been bought out by S&W?
    I still want to send my old multimount back to be checked out. i hardly ever use it but one mount seems to shift point of impact by 2 or 3 inches at around 7 meters.
    It’s looking like they will still have their good CS under the new ownership.
    Get an RMI and send it in.

MGO Member Forum User
    Thanks for the advice

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock94 View Post
    Thanks for the advice
    It depends of several factors cocktailer has the best ones listed mostly

RUGGED have em LOVE em HEAVY AS HELL Warranty awesome CS Awesome Materials Awesome

SUREFIRE have em LIKE em HEAVY lacking in materials and Warranty

DEAD AIR great all around, Hold off for Titanium Units Coming

SilencerCo .... Hmmm Have some Good unstable company right now!!

CGS GROUP- have the 9mm KRAKEN Coming QUIETEST on the Market same as 22lr Dead Air Mask HYPERION Rifle can is Quietest Rifle Can Baffles On Both Are Patent Pending and are just unreal if you haven’t heard them yourself. New Company ZEV TECHNOLOGIES is currently the only Distributor for the 9mm Kraken, owner and lead designer are both awesome guys, others are former ARMY guys WATCH OUT FOR THESE SUPPRESSORS THEY ARE GAME CHANGERS

A lot of new developments coming in Suppressors right now!!

KGMADE is up and coming and TiTanium
    ENERGETIC ARMAMENT NYX 22lr Suppressor is great TiTanium 3.6 OZs
    Last edited by 1096; 12-18-2017 at 08:55 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Can't really go wrong with any of the big names currently out there. Your price is going to really depend on your caliber and what features you really want... such as quick disconnects vs thread ons, multi functional (pistol and rifle), modularity, etc.

As always, buy nice or buy twice.... so buy once and cry once.

I am a Forum User
    Having been in the suppressor business for a few years now here is what I have learned. All of the name brand suppressors suppress very well. Don't buy based on DB rating as state above. Suppressors are a simple formula. Weight vs $$$. It's all about what they are made of. A 25oz SS .30 cal suppressor will cost half of what a 9oz Titanium Thunderbeast will cost. If your into light weight and will hump it up a mountain to hunt with your going to pay more...over a grand. If it's a bench gun you don't care weighs as much as a boat anchor you can get a good one for $500. Both do the job the same and will last a long time. Lots of gimmicky stuff on the market. A solid monocore welded rifle can will last a lifetime with no cleaning. A good aluminum K-baffle pistol can will also live a long time if you clean it regularly and the baffles can be replaced. Price differences are also based on how much the company spends on marketing. Plan on spending about 20-30% more on a Silencerco or AAC than on an Innovative Arms or Liberty. They are all excellent but you pay more for those fancy ads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast